Imperial units for gas density?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having to do the math, although easy, is an extra and un-necessary step. SI units for pressure are pascals, not BAR.

View attachment 658278
Still not following. Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in. Math only has to be done once. At rated pressure, a cylinder will have X liters. If a cylinder has less than that, it is easier to compute the amount of gas in the cylinder with liters/bars than it is with PSI/cubic feet at rated pressure.

everything is in grams per litre. So from what I read here, there is no imperial equivalent?
That should convert to ounces per gallon if you wanted it in imperial. Even as a guy who uses imperial for some things, I'd prefer to leave this one in metric.

Not sure if I follow. What is the issue with the amount of compressed gas in a cylinder being the volume of the cylinder x pressure in bars?
Apparently some people find the calculation of how much gas is in my tank to be too eas when multiplying the (wet) cylinder volume by the pressure in atmospheres (or bar to use its short name), so invented some staggeringly complex spell including eye of bat and leg of toad…. What volume of gas does an LP72 contain at 100 bar?

T
Didn't the US loose a satellite because it interpreted a 2km high mountain as 2000 miles, so turned the satellite over?

I cannot understand why US-based tech divers cling to that arcane cubits per unicorn measurements and pressurised gas volumes rather than the far simpler MKS (metres, kilo, seconds) system. I'm a Brit who'd never give up a pint! But life's not worth it for technical measurements; even UK buildings have gone metric (although some very odd standards which were mapped over from imperial measurements). The metric system's so much easier: 1 atm = 10m/33' So a 50m dive is 6 atm; gas consumption would be SAC x depth so 15 litres/min x 6 = 90 litres per min of gas.

Good to see the commie divers still keep to international units.
The smart ones have changed to metric.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom