IMP: Need help with choosing a gift for scuba diver/trainer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since he's a trainer, he likely has all the conventional gear a trainer would need for work.

At $200 you might look for something more unusual. This is somewhat of a toy in that although they claim it has a practical purpose, it's mostly used to shoot bubble rings at your friends - he might have some fun with it with his students. Some instructors look for pool toys or other ways to help with the required monotonous parts of training - like doing repetitive skills traing etc..: H2Odyssey | Your Aquatic Adventure Outfitter

LeisurePro in NYC sells them. They're a very reputable dealer and have international customers. You could probably arrange to have it shipped to him directly. torid pulse - Search Results for torid pulse - LeisurePro

I vote for the Torid Pulse! That is the first time I have seen that! So cool, and if he is a trainer, I bet he would love to use that instead of banging on his flashlight or tank to try and get students attention. As a fellow diver, it is not something I would ever buy for myself, because with photo equipment and life support upkeep, the $125 is better spent towards the needed stuff. But, the needed stuff is just not all that fun. It would be like buying someone a tool or an appliance, useful but boring.

The Torid Pulse on the other hand looks Really FUN and useful. And every time he uses it, having a laugh, he will think of you! Plus it looks very well built, so not a cheap gift by any stretch.

The bag looks very nice and seems well made too.

I hope the bag doesn't end up on a boat with scuba equipment in it!!

Don't worry about the admins. The few years I am a SB member they all seem to be very nice guys.
Plus if you do something wrong they will give you a warning first. :wink:

LOL @ I hope the bag doesn't end up on a boat with scuba equipment in it
Good one :p :)

---------- Post added May 30th, 2014 at 10:13 PM ----------

messenone makes some good points. It's tricky to buy dive gear for someone if you don't know what they already have and what they want. And divers can be quite picky about what equipment they like (especially the basic, essential gear). If you are set on buying something diving-related for him, here are my suggestions:

• Dry bag: might not have one already because they're not absolutely necessary, but most people will find a use for one if they have it.
  • Knife: probably has one already (or another cutting device), but a spare/ backup is never a bad idea; and a good quality one could make a nice gift.
  • Small torch: if he's doing any diving the requires lights, he already has a fairly large, good quality light. But a small, relatively inexpensive light can be nice for dives that don't really require one.
  • Other bits and pieces: things like towels, water bottles, etc. Not stricly diving related, but divers always need them. They'll be well under your budget, so probably best combined with another gift.

I think you have a point there. I don't think i should be going for a gear. For that i need to have a technical insight and also need to know his preference. You know what is funny? I am completely lost. I myself don't know what do i want to get for him. But it is really nice of you to put in so much of an effort and suggest alternates. I really appreciate that :)
Thanks !!!

---------- Post added May 30th, 2014 at 10:47 PM ----------

This is somewhat of a toy in that although they claim it has a practical purpose, it's mostly used to shoot bubble rings at your friends. LeisurePro in NYC sells them. They're a very reputable dealer and have international customers. You could probably arrange to have it shipped to him directly. torid pulse - Search Results for torid pulse - LeisurePro

Has he ever shown you any video he's taken?

fyi, the Nautilus Lifeline is $300. Nautilus Lifeline GPS Safety Device for Divers at LeisurePro They're pretty new on the market so he may not have one.

Does he teach on boats? In bright conditions? Polarized sunglasses might be an option also. Besides Ray-Ban, Oakley's, Bolle's, Serengeti's and all the other standard brands, there's also: Polarized Sunglasses | Diving Sunglasses | Watersports Sunglasses - Diver Shades Just make sure they're polarized as that cuts down the glare reflected off the water.

hth,

I'm one and we don't...:wink:

Steve, your post is of great help. I have shifted back from the Saddleback Leather Water bag to Scuba equipment haha :)
You must be thinking i am crazy, but trust me this is a tough one :p

I really like your suggestions. Just want to dig these down a little more:

1. Torid Pulse sounds like a real fun thing. I am sure he'd love to use it. Is the one offered by LeisurePro the best one in the market? If no, could you please suggest one from the most reputable and durable brand?
2. Nautilus Lifeline is something that will keep him safe and that is something i'd definitely want to buy him. So i'd repeat my question. Is the one offered by LeisurePro the best one in the market? If no, could you please suggest one from the most reputable and durable brand?
3. Could you suggest the best polarized glasses? The best brand and the best glasses?

One more thing, you are a Scuba diver yourself so you'd be able to answer this better. Do you think he'll like a torid-pulse or a nautilus lifeline as a gift? Would you like it if you were gifted one?

Note: I stated a very rough estimation of my budget actually. I can increase it too, that is not a problem. I just want to make sure i gift him something top-notch; something from a very reputable brand in the scuba industry. And i repeat, he is in the US and i want to get this stuff delivered to him. So please make sure you suggest keeping that in mind (you already kept that in my mind in your earlier suggestions too, which i appreciate. Just saying to be on the safe side) :)

Thank you so much for all the help :):):)

As he is a scuba trainer but going with the scuba diving material is not the only option you can go with you go with other options like you said back pack, it is also sounds good as he travels alot he can carry all his stuff in a bag gifted by his soulmate.

have shifted back from the Saddleback Leather Water bag to Scuba equipment haha
You must be thinking i am crazy, but trust me this is a tough one :p
I would not get a leather bag to take on a boat. They take a lot of abuse and more often than not ride under the seat so get completely soaked. And Salt water stained as they dry. Many dive specific bags are made of strong cordura nylon mesh - some have dry pockets in them also for things like your wallet, phone etc.
LeisurePro lists a bunch of them. Typically there's a harder bag used to transport your gear on flights, a softer mesh boat-only bag that takes all of it onto the boat - and can be folded up and stowed, and all sorts of smaller specialized bags - for regulators, weights etc. And an infinite number of hard cases made by companies like Pelican to protect cameras, dive computers and more fragile gear. Space is limited on most boats so the more collapsible/configurable, the more useful.
1. Torid Pulse sounds like a real fun thing. I am sure he'd love to use it. Is the one offered by LeisurePro the best one in the market? If no, could you please suggest one from the most reputable and durable brand?
It's the only one made currently. H2Oddyssey is a reputable company and this is the first time they've marketed something like it. It's a very simple mechanism internally and being metal it's probably very reliable:
H2Odyssey has been supplying the diving industry since 1986 and has built a solid reputation.
As the other poster mentioned, I never even thought of using it as a student signaling device. Both the ring hitting them and the click when it's fired should get someone's attention pretty easily. There's also options for devices that go inline on your inflator hose that make quacks, beeps, and even horn noises at the surface to alert boats. But that would be hard to know if he already has one. As an instructor, it's likely he does.
2. Nautilus Lifeline is something that will keep him safe and that is something i'd definitely want to buy him. So i'd repeat my question. Is the one offered by LeisurePro the best one in the market? If no, could you please suggest one from the most reputable and durable brand?
That's really about the only one using that exact technology in that price range. There are similar things on the market - called PLB's (Personal Locator Beacon) or EPIRB's (Emergency Personal Indicating Radio Beacon) some of those are portable and can be used by divers also. The one advantage the Nautilus has it that it has the option to work over Marine Radio frequencies so in effect divers floating can "call their boat" for pickup if they get separated. The PLB's/EPIRB's are more of a last ditch - I want the Coast Guard or other emergency rescue services to find me. They use them on boats to rescue people who fall overboard. They're all typically going to be more expensive - closer to $500. McMurdo is one company that sells them, there's others. Google it.

The Nautilus is the first one specifically designed for diver use. I can't speak to the reliability but a search here will turn up a few posts from people who have/have used one. I personally have never held one - they're only about 3-4 years old IIRC. Nautilus has a mfr's forum here on SB so there might be more info there.

3. Could you suggest the best polarized glasses? The best brand and the best glasses?
Oakley's and Bolla's are really popular with sportfishermen as they allow them to cut the glare and see into the water. I think that would be useful for divers also. I personally like Serengeti's but they have a different technology. Some Serengeti's come with Polarized Lenses but the ones I like for boats are the Photochromic Gradient lens models. Ever had your eyes get tired from squinting in the Sun for long periods of time? That's precisely what they fix. On a dive boat you're often the tallest thing for miles. Since many are also white the reflections can be tiring. Pilots use Serengeti's and Ray-Bans for the same reason.

One more thing, you are a Scuba diver yourself so you'd be able to answer this better. Do you think he'll like a torid-pulse or a nautilus lifeline as a gift? Would you like it if you were gifted one?
If I had a Torid Pulse, what I would likely do with it is try to sneak it on the boat and into the water then ambush my friends with it. Since I dive with the same group usually, that's going to get old fast. Might be fun with kids in a pool occasionally.

I can't speak to the Nautilus as I personally have no plans to own one. But I have very good navigation skills and never expect to allow myself into a position where I'd need one. I've been in situations where you might - surfacing farther downrange from a boat than expected. But I just waited to be picked up. Or started calculating how long it would take to reach the nearest shore...

From the standpoint of showing concern for his well-being - it would have to be the choice.

One other thing to consider is that if he works in a shop, they likely provide some safety gear and cameras for his use. I don't think many have the Torid Pulse yet though...:D

Sorry Faiza but since we don't know his gear we also don't know his watch situation. He probably uses a dive computer for most of his diving and probably already has dive watch, if he's a watch person at all.

I'm really liking the high quality sunglasses idea.

$500 opens up a lot more options if that's now the budget...

Give us an idea of where he works (shop name/location). Also the type of diving he does. Is it all local or does he travel extensively to the Caribbean or South Pacific or? Someone here may know him also or even have dove with him. So could have some idea of what he likes/wants.

Is he a certified instructor? Or more advanced - i.e. "trainer" to some of us indicates an MSDT - a Master Scuba Diver Trainer - i.e. someone who trains the trainers. That person would be a lot harder to buy for as they already have all their gear choices made and optimized so you might look for something less utilitarian and more "gift-like" for them.

Without giving anything away, if you have a picture of him in his personal dive gear that you can post here, that might tell us what sort of diver he is also.

Note there's a difference between what he may prefer and what his shop makes him use during classes. Often they make staff members dive stuff sold in the shop so their students are prompted to buy it also.

Has he ever mentioned technical or cave diving as something he does? Because there's a lot of specialized gear - things like canister lights etc. that might be other options. I can put you in touch with a lady friend of mine who knows all that stuff well.

Or a really nice watch...there's a lot of them out there besides what you find on Amazon. Some are used for diving as a backup timing device and others are worn to get attention to indicate that you're a diver. Some of those are too pretty to scuff up by diving with them.

The Citizen is one of those IMO. If I liked big dive watches it would be near the top of my list at that price range. But I dive with a $50 Casio G-Shock because I don't.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the oversized numbers on the bezel of that model. I prefer this one: Amazon.com: Citizen Men's BJ2128-05E Eco-Drive Promaster Depth Meter Chronograph Watch: Watches

Most divers have a computer now. So a dive watch is more for telling the time than anything else now.

Last edited:
My reasoning with the sunglasses is because a high quality pair are a lovely gift and a bit more intimate than dive gear he may already have. Other than that, I'd go with the boat coat. Perhaps wait a bit longer, save a bit more mmoney and fly to see him. Now that would be a ni e gift to both of you, don't you think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom