Immunosuppresents and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and have just started using Humira to treat it. Gastrointestinal symptoms have never affected my diving in the past and in fact, there is research supporting the use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy to treat the symptoms I do suffer from. However, my question specifically relates to the use of Humira while diving.

Since the drug is an immunosuppresent and can put users at greater risk of infection, I'm wondering if anyone has ever been counseled to take special precautions when diving and using Humira or similar drugs. I remember recently reading a couple threads on here about some really nasty staph infections; one that someone got from a rental wetsuit, and another that was possibly a result of exposure to seawater. Both were pretty terrifying.

Should I primarily start diving dry? Am I worrying too much? Obviously iiwill also consult with my doc, but I would love to hear from others who may have some experience with this .

Hi Steve,

There are pathogenic bacteria both in water and on land, so I think it's a question of relative risk. You should take precautions to ensure that any open wounds are sealed so that they do not come into contact with water, and thoroughly wash and carefully monitor any wounds that you may get under water. Also, since certain bodies of water can harbor large amounts of pathogens from things like farm runoff, wild animals (I'm thinking geese in my home area here), and poor human sanitation, you should take extra care to find out whether concentrations of pathogens like coliform bacteria are high enough to be potentially harmful. Your rheumatologist would be a good resource for more details.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi Steve,

There are pathogenic bacteria both in water and on land, so I think it's a question of relative risk. You should take precautions to ensure that any open wounds are sealed so that they do not come into contact with water, and thoroughly wash and carefully monitor any wounds that you may get under water. Also, since certain bodies of water can harbor large amounts of pathogens from things like farm runoff, wild animals (I'm thinking geese in my home area here), and poor human sanitation, you should take extra care to find out whether concentrations of pathogens like coliform bacteria are high enough to be potentially harmful. Your rheumatologist would be a good resource for more details.

Best regards,
DDM
Thank you for the info! The more I learn, the more I realize that a lot of my choices going forward are going to be a question of risk vs. reward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom