Immunizations for Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking online and the list includes;
Hepatitis A
Heaptitis B
Typhoid
Malaria

Malaria is a no brainer, but typhoid and Hep B & A?

Do most people get all these?

Nevermind - I called Ramons and they said dont worry about any of this on the island.

Any dispute that? Hate to get Malaria

I can't speak about Ambergs caye specifically nor am I a doctor, so this is just my two cents but now adays you can get typhoid and Hep B & A just about anywhere including the U.S.A. The one I would skip would probably be the Malaria as it tends to be more a regional thing.

Go to www.travel.gov type in Belize in Search block. Once Belize comes up, search related topics for travel concerns. Lost count how many times I've been there. You can search any country from the search block. Enjoy your trip. :wink:

Few people subscribe to malaria protection before going to Ambergris Caye. Perhaps if you are going inland for a day or so… dunno… Peter will have to chime in.
As far as Hep A and B go… my thought is that everyone should have those immunizations anyways. Never know where you’re gonna have to go someday. Can’t hurt to get them before going to Belize. The process will take several months however… as one of them is given in two rounds of shots.

we will be on AC for one week, no mainland except for the airport.

the CDC recommendations are for the whole country. I dont see a link for the islands.

I've been here 10 years and KNOW of a few people that got malaria. But San Pedro/ Ambergris sprays for mosquitos and I never heard of anyone getting it there in the year and a half I lived there.
It does get a lot of mosquitos sometimes though.

Hank49 - Do you think we can be pretty safe not doing the typhoid & hepatitis?

I have the hep A & B from previous travel and work, but not all of the group will.

Just wondering why you wouldn't get the shots? Cost, worried about the vaccines? I would just get the shot anyway, why take the risk? Maybe not and probably aren't going to keep you from getting infected. Not giving you any crap, just want you to be safe on your trip.:D

Hank49 - Do you think we can be pretty safe not doing the typhoid & hepatitis?

I have the hep A & B from previous travel and work, but not all of the group will.

There is plenty of bottled water on Ambergris. Crystal is very good and comes from the same company that makes the Coke and Belikin Beer, so typhoid shouldn't be a problem.
Hepatitis...I'm no doctor but I have lived in developing countries for the last 24 years and have never had any immunizations and never had any type of hepatitis.

Back
Top Bottom