Immunizations for Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wondering why you wouldn't get the shots? Cost, worried about the vaccines? I would just get the shot anyway, why take the risk? Maybe not and probably aren't going to keep you from getting infected. Not giving you any crap, just want you to be safe on your trip.:D

Just dont like taking meds I dont need. Choloroquine makes me ill and I dont know about the others on the market.

No sense in getting all shot up or taking meds I dont need.

If it were at all indicated I would not hesitate, but it sound like a waste of time money and risk.

There is plenty of bottled water on Ambergris. Crystal is very good and comes from the same company that makes the Coke and Belikin Beer, so typhoid shouldn't be a problem.
Hepatitis...I'm no doctor but I have lived in developing countries for the last 24 years and have never had any immunizations and never had any type of hepatitis.

Thanks Hank! This was the type of info I was looking for. Be in your part of the world in about 8 weeks! Any recommendations on a good tasty meal & cervesa with a view (on the cheap side)?

Having lived on Ambergris for 16 years I have only ever heard on one case of malaria and they had actually been on the mainland and was determined to have gotton it from the mainland plus this was years and years ago.

As Hank said its really not common but it the potenital is there as with any tropical country.

Again as Hank informed anytime Mozzies get bad, which by the way is not this time of year, the island sprays and controls the mosquitos not sure whats worse for you though the mozzies or the stuff they spray (but thats another story LOL)

Mosquito season really starts in the summer coinciding with the first rains. Since you will be visiting soon there will be or should be a constant breeze that will be coming off the ocean keeping any mosquitos at bay.

Finally Im the same as Hank no immunizations here but I would not like to discourage you form getting them it really has to be your choice I can only tell you my own experiences living in the tropics for close to 20 years.

Hope you have a great trip

Gaz Cooper

We are heading to AC in 11 days!! It sounds from the great advice so far that we don't really need anything while visiting AC... We are planning on going to the mainland for a couple of tours... does that change the need for the immunizations?

It doesn't make sense to me to travel and not update your routine shots (most adults in the US aren't) + Hep A. But then, heading to Belize and only going to Ambergris doesn't make sense to me either. :wink:

Most people who visit AC frequently or live here don't take any routine meds. Malaria is virtually a non-event here, and dengue fever is also rarely experienced. You do want to make sure you're up to date with tetanus jabs and also have protection against Hep A. Other hepatitis strains as well, depending on your lifestyle. But do remember that any vaccination only gives you partial protection, never 100%. You can still contract nasties even if you are vaccinated. I've had a long stream of tropical diseases, none of them in Belize, despite having been fully "protected" with the then-current vaccines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom