Immersion Pulmonary Edema (IPE) - unknown cause, known killer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax,

When you say "slap on O2", do you mean "provide ventilations"? I don't mean to mince words, but if you're posting this in a basic discussion forum, you need to be clear as to what you're talking about.

No, I meant get the (hopefully non-rebreather) mask on and oxygen flowing. We were not to use a bag valve mask unless there were three people; one to do CPR, one to hold the mask tightly, and the third to squeeze the bag. I absolutely must slow down and write more clearly. Thanks.

Re your concern: a CPR-trained individual will not give one minute of compressions prior to initiating ventilations. The correct procedure is to provide 30 compressions at a rate of at least 100 per minute, then provide two breaths. It doesn't take an entire minute to give 30 compressions.

Best,
DDM

You're right - I miswrote about the "one minute". sorry. :( One cycle . . . I will correct it.

No, I meant get the (hopefully non-rebreather) mask on and oxygen flowing. We were not to use a bag valve mask unless there were three people; one to do CPR, one to hold the mask tightly, and the third to squeeze the bag. I absolutely must slow down and write more clearly. Thanks.

Hi Jax,

So if I'm reading your posts correctly, you were trained in the Army and by the AHA that care for a pulseless and apneic patient involves doing compressions and applying a non-rebreather mask?

John,
Thanks for posting. Your story continues to amaze me. I think that your rescuer definitely jumped in with the pocket mask at the right time. This is what TSandM was talking about when she mentioned assisting ventilations in a conscious individual. It's not easy to do, and it takes a cooperative patient, but it can definitely make a difference.
Best,
DDM

Yeah, as far as brain farts go, my rescuer had a good one at the right time ;-). Which reminds me, I must send him a Christmas email and a thanks that I've got to see another one.

I don't think I was conscious at the time so maybe that made it a little easier. I do think tho that even if I had been fully conscious I would have welcomed it (who knows really) as I just so desperately wanted some oxygen in my body.

Thanks again for your support over the last 5 months.

John

My article on Immersion Pulmonary Edema was sent to Dr George Harpur, an Ontario Coroner who has been dealing with and researching fatalities due to IPE in Ontario for the last twenty years. He has been interviewed in several articles (some posted here) about some of those deaths due to IPE and has been trying to raise awareness. This is some of what he said about my article:

Dr Harpur:
An excellent article and your recommendations are bang on. Now, how do we get divers to begin to pay attention to them and respond appropriately. This phenomenon has been a factor in a high percentage of recent fatalities in Ontario. Great job.

Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.
regards,

G.D. Harpur MD., MDO. (CF), CCFP., FCFP.
Medical Director Tobermory Hyperbaric Facility.

I'm happy that my article is factually correct, since there was a lot of medicalese to wade through to make it more understandable without losing the accuracy. I'm still waiting for the article to be published, but as soon as it is, I will post a link.

In regard to Dr Harpur's question, "Now, how do we get divers to begin to pay attention to them and respond appropriately"? I replied that divers are really starting to pay attention to IPE, at least on Scubaboard, and I provided him some links to some of the threads and invited him to give his insight. Any other ideas to reach divers who may not read forums?

Hi Jax,

So if I'm reading your posts correctly, you were trained in the Army and by the AHA that care for a pulseless and apneic patient involves doing compressions and applying a non-rebreather mask?

Sorry, I missed this.

In a nutshell - no pulse, begin compressions. Scream for help. You give rescue breaths. If O2 available, apply it with whatever mask you have, slip it down for the rescue breaths. Basically anything to keep the blood circulating and to get O2 to the lungs. AED if you have it. Most AHA don't discuss the O2 unless it is specifically in an O2 course. O2 is not used unless there is a second rescuer.

My article on Immersion Pulmonary Edema was sent to Dr George Harpur, an Ontario Coroner who has been dealing with and researching fatalities due to IPE in Ontario for the last twenty years. He has been interviewed in several articles (some posted here) about some of those deaths due to IPE and has been trying to raise awareness. This is some of what he said about my article:

I'm happy that my article is factually correct, since there was a lot of medicalese to wade through to make it more understandable without losing the accuracy. I'm still waiting for the article to be published, but as soon as it is, I will post a link.

In regard to Dr Harpur's question, "Now, how do we get divers to begin to pay attention to them and respond appropriately"? I replied that divers are really starting to pay attention to IPE, at least on Scubaboard, and I provided him some links to some of the threads and invited him to give his insight. Any other ideas to reach divers who may not read forums?

Ayisha, is your article the one in Post 41?

No, still not published. The OUC has been dealing with a change-over of Directorship as well as investigating some fatalities, revising the brochure, planning for the booth at the Outdoor Adventure Show going on this weekend, the Ice Floe race coming up, etc., so the newsletter hasn't come out yet. Hopefully soon...

Let us know, please! :D

Deleted, sorry

Back
Top Bottom