Images or video of Sargassum filicinum in Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8.3 !!!???

I've never seen it drop below 14 around izu, which is within a short drive south of Tokyo....and the quick search I did for hayama in feb last year said about 12...
you sure?

No I just made everything up!!! :rofl3: If you like I'll let you read my dive log and you can tell me if I need glasses :D

I didn't say anything about water temp in Hayama in February. I said I didn't dive there in February. :shakehead:

How many times did you dive in Tokyo Bay in February? I mentioned Tokyo Bay only as a reference, because it's near, although, I wouldn't be surprised if water temp was a little warmer in Hayama than Yokosuka.

I did two dives at Ita Beach (Suruga Bay) in Izu on 2 February and the temp was 58F (14.4C).

17 February I dived in Tokyo Bay and the water temp was 47F (8.3C) (why do I need to repeat myself?). :confused:

Water temp in Izu. has nothing to do with Tokyo Bay. Completely different body of water. Water temp will always be warmer there than Tokyo. Take a little time to think about it and I'm sure you can figure it out :)

When I fill out my dive log, I do just what everyone else does. I read the data from my computer and I enter it in my log. I'm sure Bill will accept my data as accurate and that was who I wrote the post for.

Thanks, Bill. Our temperature fluctuations here are not as wide. During the "warm" period (surface > 65 F) the Sargassum is almost non-existent. I start seeing small plants about 6-10" across in early fall. Once the temps at depth start dropping into the lower 60's, it takes off. This year the temps stayed unseasonably warm until last weekend, and the Sargassum had a slow start but is starting to take off now.

Evie Go said you will be in the Philippines in March. You may have mentioned that to me earlier. If all goes well, I hope to be filming for the resort on Palawan in late March. Will extend my stay to about a month with the intent of diving other areas like Anilao, PG, Tub, etc.

Water temp seems to be hitting the threshold where it's going to start growing. Now that I know what to look for, I'll keep an eye out. I'll try to dive Hayama more regularly this winter, although truthfully, when it gets really cold and miserable outside I tend to stay home. I made only two dives in January, and only 3 in February this year. In the warmer months I probably average about 5-7 dives a month, plus trips of course :D

Don't know why Evie thought March, I'm coming in April. Planning on doing Tubbataha and Coron on this next trip. We'll keep in touch. Hopefully we'll both be there at the same time and can get together for some diving :)

I didn't realize temps there were warmer than here, Bill... but I guess it makes sense given the Kuroshio Current. Hmmm... I could dive there in the winter without much problem (except the high cost of diving in Japan).

I told Evie I hope to be there in March/April. She may have responded you would be there while I was there meaning April.

Relax Bill... it was not an attack just a comment as I was surprised that it got that low in the bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom