Image theft... what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I have no expectation of security when I post something on the web, be it written or photographed. That doesn't mean I won't claim ownership if someone lifts any of it, though. Unless there's some real abuse (like someone making something for sale from something of mine) then all I'd ask for is attribution.

agree.

of course it is "wrong"...but I do think it's amusing when people get all worked up about it, when/if their images have negligible market value. Mike V....yea, I understand. But some people really act like the Mona Lisa was snatched, and that is funny when they act so indignant and violated.

On another note, I had a very smart and nice person ask me about a painting I used for my avatar here. It was a snapshot I took of the original painting, that I own, by Avi Keriaty. I told her..."oh..I own that original" and she proceeded to tell me I could not take a snapshot and post it as an avatar. I think that is very petty myself. Like...why would somebody even worry about this? I can tell you right now...it would never occur to me to police another's avatar.

Seems out of perspective to me.

Rick Murchison:
... possibly referred to my lawyers - Smith, Colt, Wesson & Ruger ...

Sounds like Rick has spent some time in Texas!:D

I feel when someone steals something you've created, i'ts like they are stealing a piece of your soul. You lived it, breathed it,and stopped that moment in time to enjoy later and they turn around and claim it as there's. How rude.

ajames54:
A lot of people really don't know squat about what they are and are not allowed to do with pictures. Contact him and be nice about it, but be firm that those are your pictures. Don't expect compensation though, if you ask for anything beyond a photo credit it will be cheaper for the site owner to take them down. At the risk of ruining a relationship you could demand compensation but unless you are in the habit of selling pictures the value is impossible to determine and will be minimal.

I sold a few images in the early days of the web. It's not so tough. Find out what they are using it for, how many copies, etc. I think my going rate for usage was $200-300, so it's worth it. These were "real" photographs, not digital. But I think that if someone is using your photos on the web, $50/each is a reasonable rate if you are not a "pro." The guy pays a hosting fee every month and a web designer (possibly) for his site.

I would never allow someone to just attribute a photo of mine who is using it for commercial purposes. They are making money with it, you deserve some of it. The one exception would be a shot with people in it on a trip or liveaboard or something like that. That I'd consider more of a tip.

Bottom line: your work and effort have value. Claim it.

fisherdvm:
When a person google a photo, they assume that it is public property, unless you noted otherwise.

Posting your photo on a public site is essentially giving your photos away...

This is such wrong thinking. I honestly don't believe that the majority of people think that things on the web are "free", I believe that they know it actually belongs to someone but feel they won't get caught, so it's OK.

It is not OK. Things posted on the web are not public property unless so noted - not the other way around.

There are laws in place to protect us from image or other creation theft. We, as the creators, must stand up and make sure that each time something like this comes to light we act. Ignoring it just causes it to happen again and again with the abusers not facing any consequence.

Most people are, imho, inherently decent. Approaching someone who has used an image without your express permission will resolve many issues. If that fails, then other steps need to be taken. These steps can get expensive, perhaps, but that's another issue.

I post my photos on the web with and without a signature on them. I never feel like I've given carte blanche permission to web browsers to use my images for anything other than viewing pretty pictures where I've posted them.

I really feel we need to move away from "well, everyone does it and it's just how it is" and "every one thinks what's on the web is for their own use". I feel we need to start holding people accountable for their actions...and not just on this topic.

catherine96821:
agree.

of course it is "wrong"...but I do think it's amusing when people get all worked up about it, when/if their images have negligible market value. Mike V....yea, I understand. But some people really act like the Mona Lisa was snatched, and that is funny when they act so indignant and violated.

On another note, I had a very smart and nice person ask me about a painting I used for my avatar here. It was a snapshot I took of the original painting, that I own, by Avi Keriaty. I told her..."oh..I own that original" and she proceeded to tell me I could not take a snapshot and post it as an avatar. I think that is very petty myself. Like...why would somebody even worry about this? I can tell you right now...it would never occur to me to police another's avatar.

Seems out of perspective to me.

It's hard to put a number on a image. I have seen some images that wouldn't make it past my first edit cycle bring in very good cash. I've seen other images that were stunning not make a dime. How much cash something is worth, isn't really the issue.

The issue is theft, plain and simple.

Thanks for the sweet words :wink: I'm not sure I told you that you couldn't use it, it was so long ago, I don't remember all the details of our conversations. I believe I asked if you knew you could use it :wink: and brought up the idea that just owning a piece of art doesn't give one the rights to do whatever one wants with it unless those rights have been negotiated.

I can give someone a print (or sell it to them) - they cannot then go make other prints and sell them or display them as their own. I ask about it because the original artist may or may not allow that kind of thing, I don't know. But it's important to know - not only from a legal standpoint, but from a right and wrong standpoint.

This is always a hot topic. Ultimately, each person has to decide how valuable their images are - and value just isn't monetary. Is it OK for someone to use what you have created without giving you credit and without asking permission? How about someone getting into your car and driving to the store? "Well, you left your car parked in a public lot so I thought it would be fine." :no LOL

:D Thinking, talking and seeing other opinions and ideas is precisely what forums are for and I think threads like this are a good thing - whatever you personally believe for yourself.

I believe I asked if you knew you could use it and brought up the idea that just owning a piece of art doesn't give one the rights to do whatever one wants with it unless those rights have been negotiated

I love new information, and that was a good point.

I would never in a million years occured to me. (I love to be surprised)

I am still amused when people with very amatuer pictures get indignant about people "stealing" their work. Not you...just people like me who post their stuff everywhere.

I try and obey the law...I even resisted sneaking out the other night and tossing stuff in a construction dumpster. (they pay dump fees) So...my morality is a work in progress.

I have seen some images that wouldn't make it past my first edit cycle bring in very good cash.

Dennis and I were just talking about that the other day...most people don't recognize outstanding photography. The brain sees subjects and connotations more, I think for the pleasure centers. The thrill of technical excellence is often an aquired taste.

not only from a legal standpoint, but from a right and wrong standpoint.

maybe...and then some people don't care. For example, if you spend thousands of dollars on a piece of art...you may not "legaly" have the right to use it. But, the truth is, I felt entitled. The extent individual's feel entitled is an important factor in how the issue plays out.

...not saying I was right

I accepted a copy of CS2 from Bagdad interpretor and I felt entitled to that too.
Although..it doesn't help me much because I don't have the discipline to work with it.

I agree, but if you deny it's existence you cannot manage it effectively.

I feel you must understand the forces at work.

I just had someone use one of my picutres on Ebay. A friend wrote him, because I was too chicken

If you really believe it is wrong...what on earth would stop you from blowing the whistle? ..again "entitlement" enters the psychology of the issue on both sides.

It's not a dirty word.

Back
Top Bottom