Image theft... what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, be nice, but firm. Do not back down. Expect payment and receive it. "Payment" varies, of course, and only you can decide what you are willing to accept for the use of your image as well as the unauthorised use of your image.

Let us know how this evolves!

friscuba:
I was kind of surprised.

You shouldn't be. I worked in pre-press for many years and every so often people would want us to scan images without breaking the seal on the transparency because then they would be liable to pay the stock photo firm. As if they wouldn't owe them for using the photos. Some would even give us the transparencies and then when we broke the seal to scan them would complain and threaten to sue us. I used to tell them go ahead, it was necessary and what judge would support copyright infringement. Once even a lawyer called me who was clueless. I told him fine if he wants to go to court because we will we will counter sue and contact the photo agency as well as the photographer. He backed down real quick. People try to pull what they think they can get away with.

I don't want to say my opinion on this topic because somone might steal it...

Come on people, if you don't want it stolen be careful where you store it. If you put it on the web be sure to put at least a watermark on it...

Although putting a watermark or similar on an image can make it tougher, it won't stop people.

It is never ok for someone to use an image without permission, regardless of watermark etc and it should not be tolerated. If we don't expect and demand a higher level of responsibility from users of the system, who will?

Don't blame the victim for "shoulda dones" - make the abusers accountable each and every time.

Are your pictures copyrighted? If so the Operator is in violation of law. If not, well, you put them out there on the web. If you are looking for some kind of compensation you should contact him and convey that fact. If you are merely upset because he is using a pic that you took, maybe you could put it in perspective and be flattered that he liked it enough to use it.

alcina:
Although putting a watermark or similar on an image can make it tougher, it won't stop people.

It is never ok for someone to use an image without permission, regardless of watermark etc and it should not be tolerated. If we don't expect and demand a higher level of responsibility from users of the system, who will?

Don't blame the victim for "shoulda dones" - make the abusers accountable each and every time.

Great post! Kinda like blaming banks for not having good enough security measures when they get robbed. You can do all you want to protect your images but they can still be stolen. Many people just don't think it's a crime to steal anything from the web. Others just don't care. Make them care.

A little off subject but how do you go about looking for your photos on line?? With the 10s of thousands of web sites, looking at everyone is obviously not an option.

herman:
A little off subject but how do you go about looking for your photos on line?? With the 10s of thousands of web sites, looking at everyone is obviously not an option.

Hmm.. haven't thought about it but you propably could add some meta information to your pics (for example your name and copyright) Then you could try searching for that meta info. Not sure how well this is supported and person stealing your photos can always edit the meta info.

Back to original subject: Do you really even need to add a copyright tag or something to get rights for your work? Don't know about the laws in u.s. but here in Finland I do have all rights for my work/photos regardless of a copyright tag, logo or a water mark in a photo. Then again none of those stop people from robbing pictures.

If I come across something like that I would propably first be nice about it and see if we would find a solution that satisfies us both. But if that doesn't work I can't see how the company robbing your photos could win a case like this. Evidence is pretty much out there and if you don't have any agreement on allowing them to use your photos it seems like a clear violation to me.

Hopefully you get this whole thing solved peacefully.

You could always take pictures like I do. I swear to you no one will steal them then:D
They arent even good enough to load on the computer, I mostly just waste film.

A few years back one of our local shops (the big one with several stores) lifted a friend's photo without his knowledge off a local web site that hosts a gallery ... they had made posters that they were selling for $5 each. The first he knew of it was when he walked in the main store and saw the poster on the wall.

Not quite sure how he handled it, but I don't think there was any payment involved ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom