Image Quality GoPro HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Dauntless. Thanks for the info. That video with anemone was shot with the shallow water filter or just regular UV filter. I did not see any additional lights. Did you do it in r3 or r5 mode go pro. It is a nice video :) would you recommend just doing regular UV filter with light?
I do appreciate your input, thanks.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

Hi Dauntless. Thanks for the info. That video with anemone was shot with the shallow water filter or just regular UV filter. I did not see any additional lights. Did you do it in r3 or r5 mode go pro. It is a nice video :) would you recommend just doing regular UV filter with light?
I do appreciate your input, thanks.
Both cameras have regular blue water cyan filters and both videos were white balanced against the sand in software. The opening and closing were shot with GoPro HD BlurFix URPRO cyan filter and the middle segments were shot with Nikon S8100 P&S Ikelite housing and ikelite blue water filter. I figured out later how to manual white balance the Nikon and the color is incredible with no filter. I'm thinking, but havent't been able to try out, that the GoPro would be great with UV clear glass and white balance in software. You may have to take something down white and be sure to include it in footage and again anytime you change depth. However, the GoPro does a pretty good job of white balance with the cyan filter, the problem I have is red spot burn when I white balance in SW

Hope this helps.

Really like your Intova setup

Both cameras have regular blue water cyan filters and both videos were white balanced against the sand in software. The opening and closing were shot with GoPro HD BlurFix URPRO cyan filter and the middle segments were shot with Nikon S8100 P&S Ikelite housing and ikelite blue water filter. I figured out later how to manual white balance the Nikon and the color is incredible with no filter. I'm thinking, but havent't been able to try out, that the GoPro would be great with UV clear glass and white balance in software. You may have to take something down white and be sure to include it in footage and again anytime you change depth. However, the GoPro does a pretty good job of white balance with the cyan filter, the problem I have is red spot burn when I white balance in SW

Hope this helps.

Really like your Intova setup

Hi Dauntless :)
thank you for detail answer.
What software you use for white balance for your gopro?
what do you mean with "the red spot burn" in white balance.
I am yet to try this intova set up.
Will post video after my Cancun trip in a month :)

I'm really liking Cyberlink Powerdirector 9 64 bit, if you have a win7 64 bit computer with i5 or better, would really be fast, I'm using it on an i7 Asus gaming notebook and it is really fast and has just about anything you could want and ~$100 + music generator with free base library. I use iMovie on a MacBook Pro too sometimes and it also has the eyedropper white balance. Sony Vegas has the most sophisticated color editing but learning on the titles is more than I want to tackle The powerdirector option is probably $1K less than Mac iMovie

Last edited:
I'm not super convinced by GoPro ... It's super easy to use , but the quality isn't awesome ... It' still gonna be the best quality/price ratio around , and way better than any compact ... but still..
With the standard housing this is the kind of video you get : Kernsart's scuba dive in United States, Arizona: Beaver Cove - Diveboard: your online scuba logbook filmed in beaver cove/ lake mohave (Arizona)

Apparently the focus can be fixed by changing lenses : those guys have a kit for that Snake River

In reference to the last two posts:

The mako lens is installed in 5 minutes, unscrew the old lens and reuse the screws and replace the domed lense with a flat one. I have used the camera a bunch of times to 180 feet. The first video is from 180 dive with ambient light. I have not used any filters. The other dives are from shallower water.

If you buy the camera rig from makospearguns.com, they give you a flat lens for free.

Here are a few home movies with the flat, lens. I used movie maker..free software and it does not enhance the image or do any adjustments in color exposure etc. (as far as I know). You do need to have a decent computer to process the HD video.

Diver VS Bullshark - YouTube

Palm Beach Inlet: Scuba, Oct. 2011 - YouTube

Blue Heron Bridge Dive 10-16-2011 - YouTube

PBFD Oct 2011 Tournament - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom