Image Quality GoPro HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Id have to say the middle one is a little better there lol, doesn't look like anywhere near enough light there for the gopro and its very noisy. You should have tried to get a little closer to the subject with the gopro due to the wide angle lens but with the lack of light it probably would have helped too much. What depth was this shot at? Gopro can be good in good conditions but low light is by its biggest issue compared to any decent dslr camera.

Id have to say the middle one is a little better there lol, doesn't look like anywhere near enough light there for the gopro and its very noisy. You should have tried to get a little closer to the subject with the gopro due to the wide angle lens but with the lack of light it probably would have helped too much. What depth was this shot at? Gopro can be good in good conditions but low light is by its biggest issue compared to any decent dslr camera.

Best I can remember it was ~ 40fsw and light was good. Someone was taking a video of me taking the video so it is simultaneous. When I first saw the GoPro vid, thought it was outstanding but when I put it next to something else, there was a contrast. BTW, the Nikon is a P&S (not DSLR) less the $300 US but has a 12 mp really big CMOS, the Ikelite housing is huge I guess so the zoom lens can operate although I didn't use zoom. Maybe this is the reason GoPro has recently upgraded their CMOS in their new camera.

I still love my GoPro but I love my Nikon (& JVC Picsio) too The goPro Video is great until you put it next to something else but it is still the only high quality camera you can put on your facemask or in your pocket.

Wonder if the SNP Blurfix works with the new GoPro housing (or is the housing the same but camera different and you can just swap out the camera)

Anyone else have comments? I want to learn more, thanks Marty for your comments, always appreciated.

From what I heard the new housing is exactly the same as the old one, the cameras are the same dimension and the FOV is the same, the backpacks work for both and even the battery is the same. You do get options to use 90, 127 and 170 FOV in 1080p30 and 720p30 but I think 720P60 is limited to 170 FOV still, I found using the original gopro HD the 1080P30 mode gets more noisy earlier then even 720p60 if light isnt perfect which is why I shoot most of my video in that mode.

In theory the 30P mode should let in more light then 60P but in all my testing so far I haven't found that to be the case between those 2 modes. When I get the new camera it will be interesting to see how the faster processor, and bigger sensor help out underwater but I would expect 1080p mode to be a little more usable in more conditions then the original gopro.

Hi Marty. I got Gopro with blurfix and URPro CY filter. I am planing to use it for dives from 60ft to 120ft. I also use it with two Intova tactical torch lights to get some color. My question is: Do I need cyan filter (shallow water) for the dives under 60ft or I can get away with their UV filter? I have seen your video with seahorse and it was nice. Can I get same results doing white color correction in post production.
Also I want your opinion on what is the difference between those two filters.
Thank you for your time.

Hi everybody.
Does anybody know how close you can get to the target during the video before GoPro start loosing focus?

Hi everybody.
Does anybody know how close you can get to the target during the video before GoPro start loosing focus?

Not sure if I know the exact answer to your question, but this video was shot with an after-market flat lens, shows some pretty close shots that seem to have decent focus. It was all shot in R-5 setting. If you do not use a flat lens, the close up focus is absolutely TERRIBLE.

Blue Heron Bridge Dive 10-16-2011 - YouTube

Not sure if I know the exact answer to your question, but this video was shot with an after-market flat lens, shows some pretty close shots that seem to have decent focus. It was all shot in R-5 setting. If you do not use a flat lens, the close up focus is absolutely TERRIBLE.

Blue Heron Bridge Dive 10-16-2011 -

YouTube
Thank you. Nice work.
I was thinking of a macro shot like 2-5 " of closing in.
I know at some point it start getting blurry. May be in r5 you can work on close up shorts. Thank you for your input:)

I am using the mako flat lens and R-5. I'm not sure but maybe 5-9 inches is the closest underwater, is my rough guess.

I have had things very close above the water and are in focus almost if touching the camera, and bee very close under water and it still looks good. I just posted another video of Lizzard Island.

[video=youtube;gHGxWSfXmcM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHGxWSfXmcM[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom