I'm watching you!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Did a double charter today deep-shallow-shallow-shallow on the spacious ENZO today. Full boat for the AM charter, we were the only guests on the PM charter (very nice being the only ones at the dive site). Conditions were good, 80'+ vis, slight current at the wreck. The shallow dives were nice and relaxing. Found the usual stuff, nudis, turtles, eels, scorpionfish etc.

For the last dive we dove Kewalo pipe, one of my favorites as I usually find something special when I'm there. Today was no different.

First we cruised over the finger coral reef and found a hawksbill Turtle (pretty rare!)

Pacific Whale Foundation:
Fewer than 30 nesting hawksbill turtles exist in the Hawaiian Islands today, with primary nesting sites occurring around the island of Hawaii, and other nesting sites on the islands of Maui, Molokai, and Oahu.

Hawksbill turtles are listed as an endangered species and are protected in Hawaii under state law.

Pacific Whale Foundation
just chilling out. Poor thing was all covered with barnacles

PC290013.jpg

Photo taken on 12/29/2006 with stylus 400

Then we found a beautiful (and clean) Partridge tun. Sadly there was a big hole on the other side...someone/thing else got there first.

From there we headed over to the pipe, visited the resident redstripe pipefish
redpipeHM103.jpg

Saw some more cool stuff then it was time to head back to the boat. I turned around to check on my buddy and that's when I saw it...Heading straight at us, an 8' Galapagos Shark and what a beauty! It was still about 20+ feet away, but my heart skipped a beat (I guess anyones would if it were heading straight at them). I don't know if it had been following us or just showed up when I turned around, but it definately got the wheels turning again - What's out there that sees me that I don't see? After it noticed that we noticed it, it turned on a dime and headed in the other direction.

When we got to the line we had a little bit of time left so we checked the bottom to see what we could find...and we found something. Two very strange Nudi's that I've never seen before and can't find in the ID books. I rushed back to the boat to get my buddies camera, I hope one turned out. I'll post if one did and to John can ID it for us.

Thanks Capt. Mike, Matt and my buddy Matt...you all just made the day just perfect!

Fantastic!

Glad you got out. I do love the Enzo.

Galapagos look like big boys on steroids to me.

Man, I am so jealous! A Galapogos shark? Too cool. I've never seen pipefish, either.

I think I photographed that same turtle on the Enzo. I'll have to look at my pics, again.

Sounds like a couple of awesome dives!

It was a great day with great people :D the way I like it :wink:

Chantal, if it weren't me, I'd be jealous too...lol :wink:

That's so cool Lisa! Thanks for sharing! I think my heart would have skipped a beat or two also, lol. I don't know if I'll ever be lucky enough to see a GW here but, if I do, my heart might just stop all together, :bugeye: lol.

Would'of loved to have you along girlfriend...miss ya (of course you and Pat too Chantal :D).

Roger and I are planning to go to Maui for a few days....coming back anytime soon?

What, no pics of the shark?

Now you notice?...tsk, tsk-tsk...lol

Nope, didn't have a camera along - usually don't take one when I lead a group....my buddy left his on the boat, but I did go an get it for the nudis.

1. I suspect those are the same turtles we saw last week from the Enzo.

2. Sharks. Professional courtesies, exchange business cards, pose for pictures together, whatever.

3. I may be back at least a few more times. It appears my step-son will be in the army for another year and we visit him often enough.

1) Yes, but there was only the one - Barney :D
3) That's good news! Plenty more stuff that you haven't seen on this side yet :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom