I'm so confused...where to stay n' who to dive with spring / summer 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VicScubaVentures

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd like to go to Cozumel. My wife has finally agreed to let me go for a week, spring/summer 2013.

About me and what I want out of a dive vacation:
* very competent diver, an instructor from British Columbia
* not into the party scene
* want to dive, dive, dive
* all inclusive resort package - don't want to cook or wander into town to hunt for every meal
* photographer, doesn't need to cover huge tracts of real estate to enjoy a dive
* travels alone - single accommodation
* not looking for big, full boats (15+ divers)
* doesn't want to be hand-held and told what I can and cannot do (dive my computer, not lowest common denominator in a group)
* doesn't want to be assigned a buddy .... happy to putz along on my own
* should have opportunity for "unlimited" shore diving

I've done a little research, and find I can fly from Victoria to Cancun for about $800, and not need set foot in the US of A (I'm really starting to hate dealing with the TSA so this is a huge bonus). Means taking the bus / ferry / taxi to/from Cozumel, but I think I can handle it all on my own.

Scheduling the trip will be a bit of a pain. April - August 2013 is the available window, with some "black out" dates imposed by family obligations. Weather is a bit of a concern, hoping to statistically hedge my bets against tropical storms / hurricanes and the like (a little rain is ok, just not constant monsoon).

Looking for advice about where to stay, and who to dive with if not the on-site operator. Must say that Scuba Club Cozumel sounds like it fits the bill, but I'm sure that it has its pluses and minuses. Thoughts and opinions are most welcome.

Thanks,
Craig.

Scuba Club or Blue Angel seem like the best fit. Scuba Club does have bigger boats, but in the Marine Park it is only 6 or 8 divers per divemaster, so your dive group won't be more than that. The shore dive at SCC is great especially if you have the patience to look for little critters, and comes alive at night :)

No shore diving within the Marine Park without a guide, so that pretty much means you have to stay in town or north of it. Decent shore diving is available in the areas where Blue Angel (not AI), Hotel Cozumel (AI optional), or Scuba Club. Park rules limit group sizes to a max of 8 divers per DM, so if there's more on the boat they are split into groups & dropped off far enough apart to stay separated. All diving is drift, controlled by the current, and you can't just do photography (in one area) while the group drifts away from you.

I think Blue Angel is the closest thing I could suggest. As cicopo mentioned, they are not AI but do have a decent restaurant on premises. Free shorediving when diving with them and it's about the best you'll get in Coz. Ask for Jorge for your DM. If he determines you are a decent diver, he will give you rope and will not insist on buddy teams. And he most DEFINITELY won't hold your hand.

I'd say their restaurant is better than "decent" but it's not a fancy menu, and I'll be eating there more than once next trip. Also agree with the assessment of Jorge, once he knows your skill set you'll get a very long leash.

Another vote for Scuba Club or Blue Angel. Both have great dive masters and boat crews. The main difference is SCC is basically AI, but since BA has a good restaurant if you want to stay on premises anyway, price may be a determining factor. You would have to get quotes, I suppose, for the week you are staying and then figure in the meal costs at BA. I've stayed at both more than once over the years, and I suspect that they are pretty competive on price. If so, you can't go wrong with either, and it's a great time to go.

Another vote for Scuba Club. The food is great and varied. If you hook up with a group of 7, you can have your own boat. Otherwise, they split into groups of 8 on the bigger boats. The shore diving is terrific. Once you show your dive master you're qualified, they will let you do your own thing.

I know nothing about AI's so can't comment. Many people here recommend considering your accommodations and your diving separately. (I'd add also thinking of accommodations and dining separately, but you've specified otherwise.)

Everyone has their favorite dive op. Mine is a divemaster and instructor named Sandro Quijada. He's been diving Cozumel's reefs for years, knows the less-common and more remote sites as well as anyone. Well-established dive ops use him as an instructor and local shop owners have hired him as their own personal divemaster for specific dives. He's "chill." He'll watch you like a hawk until he knows your skills, then back way off and let you do your thing if that's warranted. He's a photographer, so is perfectly happy to poke along looking at microscopic things. We typically hire him just for our family of 3, sometimes with friends or extended family.

I am going to say that Blue Angel sounds PERFECT, PERFECT for you!!!!

what no one here is telling you is that scc is not a AI, it has 3 meals included, you eat when it is meal time..this is a big difference from a true AI..also SCC is a very small place about 46 rooms..
I am not telling you it is not a good choice, just stating a fact..this is why if you look at the ( November 2012 cozumel ) thread here you will see far more people are staying at Hotel Cozumel , AI, which is almost right next door..also you cannot book SCC through a travel dot com, such as Orbitz or Expedia with your air included in 1 package which is almost always far cheaper than booking hotel & air separately...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom