I'm SO confused...what compact camera(s) should I look at??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The RAW versus JPEG debate will never die.
Of course the RAW vs JPEG debate is dead since RAW wins with ease. I argued not against shooting RAW but against RAW being #1, #2 and #3 priority. After all, I can download the firmware that will allow me to shoot RAW on my 2005 point-and-shoot 7 mpx camera, so why wouldn't I do just that and be happy?

As for the dynamic range, this question only comes up when you are shooting with a flash. Otherwise, shooting underwater is like shooting on an overcast cloudy day when the light is dimmed and scattered. But either way, you need a camera with a large sensor: with a flash, to get higher dynamic range in RAW files, and w/o a flash, to get lower noise when shoot at higher ISO.

Another priority would be a good lens, preferably, a wide-angle zoom.

And the 3d priority would be the ease of controls in the housing.

As for the RAW, I won't even mention it as priority because these days every camera with a decent sensor can shoot RAW by default.

I spent $100 for an annual subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud. That gives me Lightroom and Photoshop.

After a dive, I download my pics and go through to cull them. Using Lightroom to do that and to give a rough "rating" to the ones that might be keepers seems to be just as fast, for me, as if I was just doing it with the regular file manager program that comes with my OS. And since I'm already in there, it usually only takes maybe an extra 5 minutes per photo on the ones that are candidates to be keepers to do a quick edit in Lightroom and get most of them to where I am happy with them.

That's pretty much what I do with Capture One, except for the paying Adobe $100/year part :)

I'm a point and shoot girl. I just want nice pics and to have fun diving. I recently purchased the TG-5 with the Olympus case and a light in motion 2500 led video light. It was $1300. Backscatter has a super deal for the Holiday with a package for $999. It's small and you can jump in with it in my hand. My photo's are amazing and it makes me look like a much better photographer than I am. I do very little editing or none the camera does the work ! Happy Holidays

Attachments

• PB200235 (3).JPG
    PB200235 (3).JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 75
I'm a point and shoot girl. I just want nice pics and to have fun diving. I recently purchased the TG-5 with the Olympus case and a light in motion 2500 led video light. It was $1300. Backscatter has a super deal for the Holiday with a package for $999. It's small and you can jump in with it in my hand. My photo's are amazing and it makes me look like a much better photographer than I am. I do very little editing or none the camera does the work ! Happy Holidays

This is wonderful to read. I just grabbed that package from Backscatter and can't wait to use it. It is refreshing to hear that you are happy with the setup!

What settings are you using?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom