I'm SO confused...what compact camera(s) should I look at??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hroark2112

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've got a Sealife DC1400 with flashes. My wife can't seem to get used to the camera, and I want to get something different, this time for me to use. I've flooded a GoPro, and I think I would prefer to get something with one or two flashes and something I can take photos instead of video.

I'm definitely a beginner photographer, but I'd like to get something I can bring to my next Bonaire trip.

Who is the best to buy from?

I started this thread and the info was helpful, however I didn't go with either of those...

A6300 or RX100V?

I decided on a Canon G7X ii.

I couldn't justify the price of the RX100v vs the G7xii for the minor better features...

I went with the Fantasea housing and all in all I'm super happy with it, and just bought an inon Z240 strobe on Sunday, so I can't wait to get in the ocean with it!

For now all my pics have been taken with internal flash (see flicker in my signature for samples)

This has a lot of good info and makes a few recommendations depending on a few (of their) different criteria. It may be worth it to watch the video and/or read the review to see if it helps.

Looks like the Panasonic LX10 is getting good reviews.

So much info!!

I used the G16 which is the model before the G7X for a number of years (also in a Fantasea housing) and I got some really good results. They are such versatile cameras and they don't take up much space when travelling.

My girlfriend uses the TG4 and loves it.

If you want to see some incredible results from the RX100 check out David Palfrey's IG account. He recently appears to have upgraded to a mirrorless system but the results he was getting with Sony's compact camera are mind-blowing.

The RX100V (with a underwater housing) shoots are incredible, especially the videos, considering the compactness of the camera... but the price of that thing isn't exactly aligned with the other compact camera, for the Mark V we're talking of 900€-1000€ range in Europe, plus at least another 300€ for a housing, it's the cost of a good mirror less + lens + case.

My understanding is that the G9 in a fantasea housing is very well regarded.

The Canon's have historically been very good (S95, S100, S110 and S120).

This is because they do have custom white balance, preflash disable, good with external wide angles lens, manual mode, etc.
Not really meaning to be snarky, but the high regard for the G9 has to be getting a little moldy by now, don't you think? After all, the G9 is more than ten years old, and sensors have improved quite a bit since then. I have one myself, but I retired it quite a few years ago due to the newer generations of sensors. One of the G9's recent descendants would probably be a much better choice for the OP.

For me, the ability to shoot raw format would be first, second and third priority. Raw shooting eliminates any need for custom WB, since the camera white balances by discarding sensor info. The raw file contains all the info that the sensor captured, so WB'ing in post carries no IQ penalty. As a bonus, the raw file also allows for a lot more shadow/highlight recovery without significant IQ loss.

Of course, that requires that the user is comfortable with PP'ing on their computer in the first place...

Not really meaning to be snarky, but the high regard for the G9 has to be getting a little moldy by now, don't you think? After all, the G9 is more than ten years old, and sensors have improved quite a bit since then. I have one myself, but I retired it quite a few years ago due to the newer generations of sensors. One of the G9's recent descendants would probably be a much better choice for the OP.

For me, the ability to shoot raw format would be first, second and third priority. Raw shooting eliminates any need for custom WB, since the camera white balances by discarding sensor info. The raw file contains all the info that the sensor captured, so WB'ing in post carries no IQ penalty. As a bonus, the raw file also allows for a lot more shadow/highlight recovery without significant IQ loss.

Of course, that requires that the user is comfortable with PP'ing on their computer in the first place...

I think the issue is cost and performance. If someone just wants to buy an 'affordable' camera to take in the water that will perform well, i.e. compacts. Then Cannon (among a few others) have over a long period, had a range of good cameras.
The other issue, is most divers with cameras don't really consider themselves photographers. The don't always understand, appature, speed, ISO etc. They use a camera in automatic, point and shoot.
Not having white balance, means you need a strobe - a significant cost increase. Or LR/PS etc, which will significantly improve your pictures - if you can be bothered with post processing.
I still use a S95, granted I have strobes, lenses, and LR. But, truthfully the quality of the pictures are not limited by the camera, but my competence.
If I buy a fancy SLR and housing, my pictures are probably not going to improve that much.
White balance also means you can do good quality video reasonably cheaply, because (on the canon), the white balance also works for the video.

I don't pretend to be good or even that well educated with regards photography. But as some one was discussing with me recently - the magic figure is £500. If you can price the product under £500, it will probably sell well. The perceived cost is acceptable. (Note the GoPro also falls into this magic bracket).

Now, if the question is, I have 2-3 grand to spend on a camera, then you are not looking at a compact - and I am well out of my depth.

I am currently struggling to justify upgrading the S95's I have - a faster camera would be nice, but will my picture taking improve. LR certainly improved the quality of my pictures, but that is in the post processing, not the fundimentals.

(One up side of the S95, is the cameras are/where relatively cheap, so I have spares and am not terrified of a flood :) )

Gareth

PS I also intended to say that the Canon would shoot RAW, for those interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom