I'm so confused! Trying to decide on next dive to do.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would advise more training. Being good on buoyancy makes every thing better. You see more things because you are in the "right" place and your air consumption goes down so you have more time per dive. Being great on buoyancy is even better.

Also, getting Rescue Certification is a really good idea. No, it does not make you competent to rescue someone anymore than Open Water makes you a competent diver. But it does introduce you to the basic concepts. It also makes you more aware of problems as they develop. Rescue is less about rescuing others than it is about not putting yourself into a situation where YOU need rescuing.

As far as where to go, I cannot say. A place that one person loves will seem mediocre to someone else. The things I find valuable in a dive area are different than what appeals to other people. For example, most people prefer Little Cayman to Cayman Brac. I think The Brac is better than Little. Little Cayman has much to appeal to divers. The walls are shallow. The visibility is great. Usually the seas are calm. There is a consider amount of sea life. The walls have about 4 different topographies which keeps things interesting.

But The Brac has much better corals than Little Cayman. I like corals so I opt for The Brac.

At Belize, you do not get the fish life that you see in Little Cayman or Cayman Brac. The reefs are not as good. And the visibility is not as good. That is around Turneffe Atoll. But the Elbow is a really good dive and it is always different. If you like Eco Resorts, there are two out at Long Caye. The reefs out there at Long Caye and Half Moon Caye have really good corals and you have a good chance of seeing sharks.

I've thought that diving Cozumel is as easy as easy can be. It is my opinion that if a person can pass OW without the ability to control basic buoyancy there's a real problem with their training and certification.

There is a big difference between being able to control buoyancy right out of OW and having buoyancy contral being a second nature reflex with trim perfected.

I've thought that diving Cozumel is as easy as easy can be. It is my opinion that if a person can pass OW without the ability to control basic buoyancy there's a real problem with their training and certification.

There is a big difference between being able to control buoyancy right out of OW and having buoyancy contral being a second nature reflex with trim perfected.

I am always surprised when someone recommends Cozumel to new divers because I didn't find it easy in the beginning. I float like a cork and had a hard time learning control and how to avoid crashing into things. Some people take to it easily but others don't.

I have to agree with @KathyV . I wouldn’t say Coz diving is “easy” for beginners, due to the current. However, it can be “easy” if you’re more experienced and can handle the currents and your own buoyancy. I think people say it’s “easy” because they are drift dives and the boat follows you and picks you up almost immediately after you surface. And since they are drift dives, you are going with the current so very little kicking or endurance involved. And the Coz DMs are so great at taking care of you if you need it. Plus where else can you hire a private DM for so little money?

“Easy” as opposed to furiously finning up against current and then turning around to go with the current to find the boat. I think that’s why some people say it’s easy diving.

Edit: Dang! I just realized I was one of the people who recommended Cozumel to the OP! Oh well. She’s probably done her trip already.

Last edited:
“Easy” as opposed to furiously finning up against current and then turning around to go with the current to find the boat. I think that’s why some people say it’s easy diving.

I guess that's why I love Bonaire so much. No boat, no current, no navigation problems, no schedule, and 4 dives a day.

I guess that's why I love Bonaire so much. No boat, no current, no navigation problems, no schedule, and 4 dives a day.

Yes...but there are slippery and sharp rocks and surge and difficult entries and exits and no DM!

Just joking with you. :wink: Playing devil’s advocate that’s all!

Yes...but there are slippery and sharp rocks and surge and difficult entries and exits and no DM!

Just joking with you. :wink: Playing devil’s advocate that’s all!

No - you are absolutely right. That's why I made a collapsable cane out of PVC and when I need it, I'll make a PVC walker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom