I'm so confused! Trying to decide on next dive to do.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessejana

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I began our diving experience in Grand Cayman as our first experience (Dec. 2017). We spent 10 days there and got our PADI Open Water. Throughout our time we did 8 dives and deepest was 77 feet on our last day. I must give a shout out to Pirate Divers GC! They were an amazing group to dive with and we spent our entire diving with them. We've now decided to get our Advanced Open Water and spend another 7-8 days diving. We are planning for first part of May and I had originally thought about going back to GC. But, wanted to explore another place and landed on Belize. However, I keep getting mixed reviews of a great place to dive and not a great place to dive. Can some of you long time divers "enlighten" me if we will enjoy getting our advanced cert. and doing more dives. We absolutely are in love with it! We didn't start diving until we were retired... Help!!!

Belize is a big place, with diving that varies widely from place to place. This probably accounts for at least some of the disagreement in reviews. What attracts you to Belize, as opposed to some of the other popular dive destinations in the Caribbean?

I don't know where you stayed or dove on Grand Cayman, but you could also consider staying in a different area of Grand Cayman, or checking out Little Cayman or Cayman Brac. You might find it's like being in a different place.

I've been going to Belize every year, with one exception, for around 10 years now, maybe more. The first two times, my wife and I went to Turneffe Island Resort, which is a small resort on a 12-acre caye in mid-northern Belize. The last eight or nine times, we've gone to Placencia, which is further south. As much as we enjoyed staying on a caye that was totally devoted to eat, sleep and diving, we love the access Placencia provides to the jungle and southern Belize, where fewer tourists go so we can get a more authentic Belizean experience.

Obviously, if we didn't really like it we wouldn't go there every year. I'm always on the prowl for retirement property there. My wife, a creature of the malls, is a little reluctant but I'm sure will be eventually persuaded. I just booked another trip in June. It's not Nirvana by any stretch but it feels like home to me.

I'm not sure where the mixed reviews came from, but recently a couple of folks were posting here not only that the diving is better elsewhere, which could be, but that the diving in Belize is bad, which has not been my experience. Not sure what that was all about. True, I saw bigger turtles in Hawaii, more fish life in the Keys and dove some thrilling cenotes dives in Mexico, but I love the diving in Belize and wouldn't go there year after year if I didn't.

You will definitely enjoy getting your Advanced Card wherever you go. Keep in mind, it's a "sampler" class that allows you to explore other types of diving. The main advantage is that you get to broaden your horizons under the direct supervision of an instructor and that's always a good thing imho. But the name "Advanced" rubs a lot of people the wrong way as it implies that you're way above the skill set you got from your OW class, which is not necessarily the case. I imagine those people would have less of an issue if it were called "Open Water 2" or something like that. Regardless, it's an accomplishment and you're entitled to feel some pride for advancing your skills doing something you love to do.

Back to Belize. Small country but still a big place. Think Massachusetts. A very large majority of tourists and divers go to Ambergris Caye, which is fine by me as it leaves the rest of the country to the rest of us. Lots going on there with the most hotels, bars, restaurants and dive shops. Short boat rides to the reef. There are resorts like TIR above that are out on the cayes (pronounced "keys" as in the Florida Keys) that tend to be fairly high end and are run like summer camp for adults. Very short boat rides to the reef as they tend to be sitting almost on top of it. To the south is Hopkins, a Garifuna village meets Canadian retirees kind of place. Hamanasi is highly thought of both as a place to stay and to dive with.

A little further south is Placencia, which is another fishing village meets families kind of place with more of an island vibe as it's a small peninsula with Placencia village at the tip end. If you go there, I strongly recommend Splash Dive Center. They are my "go to" dive op and where I got my Master Scuba Diver Certification years ago (not to be confused with Dive Master, which is much more of a challenge). Every year I see other divers at Splash doing Discovery Scuba or getting their OW or AOW certifications, which is always very cool. Ralph and Patty, the owner/operators are great people and can help with lodging and all that. The further south, the further to the reef. Some people don't like that. Me, I love riding in boats.

Punta Gorda is almost at the southern tip. Reef CI runs trips out of there, but I think they're based in Placencia now. PG doesn't get a lot of tourists, which is too bad because the further south you go the poorer Belize becomes and they could really use the money.

Last edited:
I have also heard reviews that say Belize is “so-so”. Going from Grand Cayman to Belize, I think you’ll notice a difference. Grand Cayman is world class Caribbean diving, world class top-side, although on the expensive side. I would suggest Cozumel as a second dive destination, also world class diving. And really good restaurant scene. And budget friendly. And easy to get to from TX.

Eventually, you’ll probably work your way to Belize, but I’d do Cozumel first! And Roatan, and Bonaire. :D

We’re headed to Belize on a liveaboard soon. Maybe I’ll change my mind after that.

Last edited:
I've been going to Belize every year, with one exception, for around 10 years now, maybe more. The first two times, my wife and I went to Turneffe Island Resort, which is a small resort on a 12-acre caye in mid-northern Belize. The last eight or nine times, we go to Placencia, which is further south. As much as we enjoyed staying on a caye that was totally devoted to eat, sleep and diving, we enjoy the access Placencia provides to the jungle and southern Belize, where fewer tourists go so we can get a more authentic Belizean experience.

Obviously, if we didn't really like it we wouldn't go there every year. I'm always on the prowl for retirement property there. My wife, a creature of the malls, is a little reluctant but I'm sure will be eventually persuaded. I just booked a trip in June. It's not Nirvana but any stretch but it feels like home to me.

I'm not sure where the mixed reviews came from, but recently a couple of folks were posting here not only that the diving is better elsewhere, which could be, but that the diving in Belize is bad, which has not been my experience at all. Not sure what that was all about. True, I saw bigger turtles in Hawaii, more fish life in the Keys and dove some thrilling cenotes dives in Mexico, but I love the diving in Belize and wouldn't go there year after year if I didn't.

You will definitely enjoy getting your Advanced Card wherever you go. Keep in mind, it's a "sampler" class that allows you to explore other types of diving. The main advantage is that you get to broaden your horizons under the direct supervision of an instructor and that's always a good thing imho. But the name "Advanced" rubs a lot of people the wrong way as it implies that you're way above the skill set you got from your OW class, which is not necessarily the case. I imagine those people would have less of an issue if it were called "Open Water 2" or something like that.

Back to Belize. Small country but still a big place. Think Massachusetts. A very large majority of tourists and divers go to Ambergris Caye, which is fine by me as it leaves the rest of the country to the rest of us. Lots going on there with the most hotels, bars, restaurants and dive shops. Short boat rides to the reef. There are resorts like TIR above that are out on the cayes (pronounced "keys" as in the Florida Keys) that tend to be fairly high end and are like summer camp for adults. Very short boat rides to the reef as they tend to be sitting almost on top of it. To the south is Hopkins, a Garifuna village meets Canadian retirees kind of place. Hamanasi is highly thought of.

A little further south is Placencia, which is another fishing village meets retirees kind of place with more of an island vibe as it's a small peninsula with Placencia village at the tip end. If you go there, I strongly recommend Splash Dive Center. They are my "go to" dive op and where I got my Master Scuba Certification years ago (not to be confused with Diver Master, which is much more of a challenge). Every year I go I see other divers doing Discovery Scuba or getting the OW or AOW certifications, which is always very cool. Ralph and Patty, the owner/operators are good people and can help with lodging and all that. The further south, the further to the reef. Some people don't like that. Me, I love riding in boats.

Punta Gorda is almost at the southern tip. Reef CI runs trips out of there, but I think they're based in Placencia now. PG doesn't get a lot of tourists, which is too bad because the further south you go the poorer Belize becomes and they could really use the money.

Thanks so much for your response! We first were looking at Hopkins area, but then moved on to Placencia and then also looked at AC. Read some on Trip Advisor, and some on here. Don't want to fork out the money for the little islands. Felt like at the Hopkins area, you're spending as much time on a boat getting to the dive area as you are actually diving. At Placencia, we were looking at Ramons. Belize is certainly more expensive to certify than what we can do in Cozumel. Cozumel may not even be an option if they are fully booked. It's just hard not having enough experience with areas. We are diving Hawaii (Oahu-unfortunately) in December and we want to be able to go deep enough to enjoy the wrecks. That is why the AOWC is important to us this trip...

I appreciate your information on Placencia. If we decide to go to Belize, that's probably the area we will choose.

I have also heard reviews that say Belize is “so-so”. Going from Grand Cayman to Belize, I think you’ll notice a difference. Grand Cayman is world class Caribbean diving, world class top-side, although on the expensive side. I would suggest Cozumel as a second dive destination, also world class diving. And really good restaurant scene. And budget friendly. And easy to get to from TX.

Eventually, you’ll probably work your way to a Belize, but I’d do Cozumel first! :D

We’re headed to Belize on a liveaboard soon. Maybe I’ll change my mind after that.

That's what I've read... if you do a liveaboard, Belize is worth it. That almighty dollar is always a driving force!

I agree, that's a concern for me, that going from GC to Belize will be a total let down. I know we were in a diving paradise in GC and plan to go back. Just wanting to get more dives in and don't want a total let down following our high of Grand Cayman.

We head to Hawaii in December and want our AOWC so we can dive a lot of wrecks. The sad part is that we will be diving Oahu rather than the Big Island. Spending time with our children who live there.

That's what I've read... if you do a liveaboard, Belize is worth it. That almighty dollar is always a driving force!

I agree, that's a concern for me, that going from GC to Belize will be a total let down. I know we were in a diving paradise in GC and plan to go back. Just wanting to get more dives in and don't want a total let down following our high of Grand Cayman.

We head to Hawaii in December and want our AOWC so we can dive a lot of wrecks. The sad part is that we will be diving Oahu rather than the Big Island. Spending time with our children who live there.

Why not Cozumel then? In the Caribbean, Cozumel diving is considered pretty high up there. I would say it has the most majestic coral structures.

And I just did my AOW and Nitrox there this past December. Quality dive ops.

Why not Cozumel then? In the Caribbean, Cozumel diving is considered pretty high up there. I would say it has the most majestic coral structures.
We are considering Cozumel... Going to try and make some final decisions come Monday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom