I'm PUMPED!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax Teller

Reaction score
# of dives
My wife is attending graduate school, and because of the financial aid she was able to obtain, once a semester we get a large check for "living expenses". We recently received one such check.

Someone on this forum has a link to a dive shop on the east coast that has a package deal where you get the class and a full scuba set up for about $2,500. The check we received was for more then that amount. So I asked the wife today if it would be alright for me to use this money to buy scuba gear, should I decide I want to do it after my intro class and (if I continue) certification class.

Much to my surprise, she did not say no! I told her how in the long run it would be cheaper then renting. She said that I should rent for a couple dives after my class to be sure that I really do enjoy diving in the lakes in the area before I purchase anything. Excellent advice in my opinion. As I recently stated in another thread here, she's a borderline genius!

Now I'm not about to go to the east coast for gear, but the fact that they can set you up for $2,500 gives me hope!

SO, if everything goes smoothly, I should have the money to take the certification class immediately (if I so desire), and have enough money to buy some gear of my own shortly there after! What I think I'm most excited about, is that (I think) I'll have enough to take the dry suit class and actually purchase a dry suit! I'm not afraid of the cold; I'm just not a huge fan of it.

Oh man I'm PUMPED! I hope I like this as much as I'm hoping I will!

So let me get this right. We tax payers are paying for your dive lessons and gear. Yep change we can believe in!

A word of advise is to take the class and get certified before you start buying a bunch of gear. The dive shop that you take your class from will let you try a bunch of different gear. See what you like. Also, you gear is going to be different pending on where you plan of diving at. Again talk to the dive shop that you take your classes from. Good Luck and I hope you enjoy it as well.

My wife is attending graduate school, and because of the financial aid she was able to obtain, once a semester we get a large check for "living expenses". We recently received one such check.

Someone on this forum has a link to a dive shop on the east coast that has a package deal where you get the class and a full scuba set up for about $2,500. The check we received was for more then that amount. So I asked the wife today if it would be alright for me to use this money to buy scuba gear, should I decide I want to do it after my intro class and (if I continue) certification class.

Much to my surprise, she did not say no! I told her how in the long run it would be cheaper then renting. She said that I should rent for a couple dives after my class to be sure that I really do enjoy diving in the lakes in the area before I purchase anything. Excellent advice in my opinion. As I recently stated in another thread here, she's a borderline genius!

Now I'm not about to go to the east coast for gear, but the fact that they can set you up for $2,500 gives me hope!

SO, if everything goes smoothly, I should have the money to take the certification class immediately (if I so desire), and have enough money to buy some gear of my own shortly there after! What I think I'm most excited about, is that (I think) I'll have enough to take the dry suit class and actually purchase a dry suit! I'm not afraid of the cold; I'm just not a huge fan of it.

Oh man I'm PUMPED! I hope I like this as much as I'm hoping I will!

So let me get this right. We tax payers are paying for your dive lessons and gear. Yep change we can believe in!

As much as I wish this were true, it's really just a loan we have to repay...with interest!

Hey Mark

I wasn't planning on buying anything before passing the class - I'm just pumped that the money is available for when it IS time to buy gear.

Someone on this forum has a link to a dive shop on the east coast that has a package deal where you get the class and a full scuba set up for about $2,500

As we are all excited for you am I the only one who caught this statement. I have to ask what package are they offering you for $2500, seems alot for a beginner.

Well that sum of money is clearly adequate to get basic training and a nice set of "wet" gear so don't get too jazzed with "the package".

Be sure that you do your own research and get stuff that will serve you well. Your wife is on good ground about taking the time to try some rental gear and test your true interest in this amazing sport.

hey dude, it's awesome to see your excitement

but whatever you do, hang on tight to your cash ... if i may offer some advice, buy the minimum equipment needed, get your lessons, and get a feel for diving

then rent for a little while to see how you like diving and try out a few different things, see what you like ... ask to try out various pieces of gear in a pool (or even better, in a real dive)

then, once you've decided that diving is for you and you have a little bit of experience with the gear at issue, go ahead and purchase your own ... which will help you tremendously in developing as a diver

you don't want to do it right away, and you don't want to wait too long ... but take it slow at first ... if you're in for the long haul, you'll be better served by waiting a little before making big purchases

The package on that site said that it was everything you needed to go diving. I did not investigate any further as that package is not an option for me.

Since I don't know what all was included in this package, I wasn't too excited about that particular package. I'm excited as it gives me hope that I can get what I need to dive without having to rent everything every time. I was of the believe that I would be looking at between 5 and 10 thousand in order to not have to rent. I don't need the latest and greatest fancy stuff.

What I'm pumped about is that it suddenly became apparent to me that I may actually get to have my own gear within the next 10 years. All this time while looking into scuba (really not that long at all), I thought I would be renting the VAST majority of whatever gear is needed for years.

I'm not about to go out and start buying stuff; I'm just excited that the money is available. If I take this intro class and end up not liking scuba, then that money can go elsewhere. But for now, it appears that it is reserved for scuba.

Back
Top Bottom