I'm PUMPED!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... in the long run it would be cheaper then renting.

Have you taken into account the interest that would accumulate on the $2500 over the time that it takes to repay the loan? I'm guessing this is money from the gov or 'Aunt Sallie', either of which tend to hang around for very very very long time after graduation.

As someone who did some 'stupid stuff' with his "living expenses" during school, I would suggest saving up the money to take the classes on your own and either using the $2500 for actual living expenses or paying down the principle amount of the loan.

I'm not trying to piss on your parade, just offering my .02. I don't think that I could enjoy my dive knowing that I was paying way more than the sticker price for my gear over the course of 10 or 20 years...

CivilE

As much as I wish this were true, it's really just a loan we have to repay...with interest!

You may want to figure up the total that you will need to pay in interest once you figure out how long it will take you to pay it back.

Also, wait until you are certified to start buying gear since there is soooooo much to chose from. Typically the OW course includes rental of dive gear for you to try out and see what you are comfortable with. If the course does not include the gear, rental is still cheaper than figuring out that you hate some gear that you bought and then need to re-configure your rig.

Have you taken into account the interest that would accumulate on the $2500 over the time that it takes to repay the loan? I'm guessing this is money from the gov or 'Aunt Sallie', either of which tend to hang around for very very very long time after graduation.

As someone who did some 'stupid stuff' with his "living expenses" during school, I would suggest saving up the money to take the classes on your own and either using the $2500 for actual living expenses or paying down the principle amount of the loan.

I'm not trying to piss on your parade, just offering my .02. I don't think that I could enjoy my dive knowing that I was paying way more than the sticker price for my gear over the course of 10 or 20 years...

CivilE

I concur. As a business man who learned on my own aka the hard way , do not use this money to fund an extra curricular activity! The banks and money lenders have programmed the public in believing that debt is a mark of success. They have maligned the youth with visions of 'it's now or never'. The word sale brings panic to those who have not.
Not to embarrass or bring ridicule but your thinking is that of a youth that has had an upbringing that had very little experience with disposable money in your family or your parents did not expose you to healthy teaching about money. This was the case in my family. So when I got a little bit ahead I went over my head in debt because everyone else had 'stuff' I wanted also but could not afford to pay cash for. Resulting in me being in debt for most of my life. Until I saw what I was really paying.
I sat down and made a plan to become debt free before I would buy one more thing. I also sold stuff to pay off my debt. I walked past the sale signs voicing loudly 'there will be another sale'. I started to get mad at myself as I realized how much money I actually wasted over my life by being in debt. Saving became easy as my sense of accomplishment with what I was doing grew. When I got debt free and it only took a couple years the first thing I bought was a truck. That day the tim man grew a heart. I was the proudest man alive. Also my sense of buying was heightened in the area of knowing the product inside and out. This started a second half of my life as a responsible person in the area of money management. For me today and this is my opinion and it is harsh- if one is in debt outside of a mortgage we are not living responsibly with money. If I can do it anyone can. I am not rich, just debt free. I work hard, save faithfully and play hard as a result. By they way I still drive my 1996 GMC extcab. I also have a 4x4 suburban for the winter. They are not new but they are in mint condition. I own very expensive high quality dive gear. As a matter of fact I am outfitting myself with new Apeks regs this weekend for my doubles kit I want to start diving with. I bought the pb/w used on this board. The regs I wanted new. Took me about a year to save the 2000$ that will pay for the reg setup. My lds will gear it all together for me. Even if I did not buy the bp/w from them.
I use a travel visa to purchase items every day. However everyday I go to the bank and pay the visa bill for what I bought. I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT I DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY FOR IN MY BANK ACCOUNT! This way I collect airmiles to fly to my warm water dive sites. I did start a business also. This was after I got debt free.
Now why am I responding this way to you? It's only because I sense a great desire to dive in you, that is so cool. I also know behind every great man is a greater woman and she is willing to let you make decisions on the money in the family. She has given her advice which you already have stated as sound. You are young. Get your debt load gone first! Rent gear for now. Most dive places have good gear to rent. Or dont dive for at least one year and then purchase your regs first, I feel they are the most important and personal piece of equipment we own as divers. Then bc etc. O ya a mask and fins are not so expensive get them first maybe.
I see too many people not getting what they want out of life by being crushed with debt. Sit down with yourself and cast a vision of this senario of debt and your life. You hopefully will sacrifice one year of saving for a life time of fun and being debt free also! There are many, many ways to get money. I found countless ways to make it. When people around me where complaining I was earning, even if it was a little it was something. My greatest thing was quiting smoking. For some reason I always managed to have smokes so to this day I put five dollars a day into a jar and this is my dive money. Thats been since July 93. I scrounged for cigs when I smoked so I scrounge today. My freinds and wife really have no idea of the history behind my success but I tell you this-I listened to my wife when she said, 'Do you really need this'. I wish you well. kevin:wink:

I'm happy to see you so excited, but let me give you one thing to think about. Don't run out and buy whatever package it is that you saw available from some shop on the east cost (obviously after you've taken your class and decided that diving is for you). Do a lot of research, figure out what will work for you (and where you want to take your diving)....many many new divers (myself included) buy gear and quickly realize that they want/need something different. Make sure you buy right on your first time around.

I hope you really enjoy your class and can get certified and out diving soon....but take your time and make sure you understand everything (and are able to perform every skill/task confidently).

And, as others said, consider spending your own money that you're not going to have to pay back eventually. Interest adds a lot....what was $2500 turns out to be a lot more. If you save a little each month, you should be able to buy your gear and training on your own....though maybe not all at once.

As Nicole said, after you get certified you may buy gear you will wish you hadn't in a year. Check out threads here about gear. You can easily find a wetsuit, backplate or BC, tank and weights for less than $750. Later you may want an HID light, scooter, camera or boat, but for now it would be better to just dive a lot and enjoy it. If most of your diving will be in MN you may want to use some of the $2500 you save by not buying a package deal for a drysuit.

Spend your money wisely----there deals out there to be had......enjoy....Hopefully you really don't need the money down the road for "living expenses"----wetsuits , tanks, fins, masks etc etc need ALOT of boiling & seasoning to digest properly..lol

Back
Top Bottom