I'm new to diving and to Coz... planning a trip :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karlomarx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey folks, my gal and I are planning a trip down to Cozumel this Oct-Nov (probably Nov).

I spent all of last night reading the forum and especially the FAQ (which is great btw!).

We would like to go to Coz for 6 days... spend the 1st 3 days Scuba diving and then the last 2 just bumming around the Island. We both are in Spanish classes and would love to interact with the locals.

That being said... I have a huge list of Hotels... a huge list of Dive Shops. We are not looking for total luxury nor are we looking for the cheap of the cheap. Something in the middle.

Seeing that you guys have been to Coz numerous times and have dived tons more... care to share your recommendations? I didn't want to be the uber n00b and just ask away without reading the boards.

But honestly ... I hope you guys don't mind giving me some suggestions on well located (to beach/city) hotels... and good dive shops?

Thanks so much in advance!

Karlo and Jill
Chicago

My gal found a good deal for Casita de Maya <--- good place? Good location?

I was in Cozumel in February, and I got my certification with Manuel Reyjon with United Divers. He speaks very, very good English, and he is very attentive to his guests. I am in no way affiliated with him, but if you tell him that James Russell referred you, he will know who you are talking about. I highly recommend him as your divemaster. He knows the reefs like the back of his hand, and he put me on some really nice scenery. His boat is not the newest or fastest, but it is well maintained, and he is very professional.

I stayed at the Cozumel Hotel & Resort, and again, it is not the newest or the fanciest, but it is very nice accomodation, and the staff was great. They also have dive packages, but I don't know who their divemaster is. They are across the street from the beach, but they have a private tunnel going under the road to a private beach. There is also a dive shop associated with the hotel, and I did see people diving from the private pier. I would also recommend eating at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. The mahi mahi is excellent!

When you go bumming around the island, be sure to rent a Jeep and drive over to the lighthouse area. You will find the Bob Marley Bar right by the turnoff to go to the lighthouse, and their shrimp ceviche is out of this world!! I think you will probably want to spend more time diving, though. The island can be seen in its entirety in one day easily.

When you are downtown, there is a restaurant that is right next to the square. I can't remember the name of it, but it is all open to the air, and the food is great. Get the local entertainment to sing "Bienvenidos Cozumel". I had spent two weeks there, and on the last day, I ate at that restaurant. The guys came around to sing some of the songs, and I had to wipe tears out of my eyes.

Contact Manuel Reyjon with United Divers, and you can't go wrong.

James M. Russell

Dive every morning, bum around afternoons, do a day trip to the peninsula (some call it the mainland) for a couple of cenote dives. :thumb:

Have a great trip. :pilot:

I was in Cozumel in February, and I got my certification with Manuel Reyjon with United Divers. He speaks very, very good English, and he is very attentive to his guests. I am in no way affiliated with him, but if you tell him that James Russell referred you, he will know who you are talking about. I highly recommend him as your divemaster. He knows the reefs like the back of his hand, and he put me on some really nice scenery. His boat is not the newest or fastest, but it is well maintained, and he is very professional.

I stayed at the Cozumel Hotel & Resort, and again, it is not the newest or the fanciest, but it is very nice accomodation, and the staff was great. They also have dive packages, but I don't know who their divemaster is. They are across the street from the beach, but they have a private tunnel going under the road to a private beach. There is also a dive shop associated with the hotel, and I did see people diving from the private pier. I would also recommend eating at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. The mahi mahi is excellent!

When you go bumming around the island, be sure to rent a Jeep and drive over to the lighthouse area. You will find the Bob Marley Bar right by the turnoff to go to the lighthouse, and their shrimp ceviche is out of this world!! I think you will probably want to spend more time diving, though. The island can be seen in its entirety in one day easily.

When you are downtown, there is a restaurant that is right next to the square. I can't remember the name of it, but it is all open to the air, and the food is great. Get the local entertainment to sing "Bienvenidos Cozumel". I had spent two weeks there, and on the last day, I ate at that restaurant. The guys came around to sing some of the songs, and I had to wipe tears out of my eyes.

Contact Manuel Reyjon with United Divers, and you can't go wrong.

James M. Russell

The dive shop at Hotel Cozumel is Dive Paradise. They have a variety of dive boats going out every day and can cater to your skill level. I'd check out their web site for Hotel/Dive packages.

Thanks for all the posts!

Another question.. We are debating on renting a car for 1 day only. Is it worth it to buy Full Insurance and rent a car.... or just cab around the island?

Please keep the comments coming!

Very appreciative!

Last edited:
Just got back from Coz last Saturday. This was my 6th trip. I've always stayed at Scuba Club Cozumel. It's prices are all-inclusive of breakfast, lunch, dinner and diving - not drinks. We've always enjoyed the people there - they're friendly, eager to please, and most speak English far better than I speak Spanish! Cozumel Scuba Diving at Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop

The DMs are knowledgeable and safety-concious without being PITA's - dive your computers! They have a total of 6 boats - some are more nicely appointed than others.

SCC is about 1 mile south from town, and about 5 minute walk from Chedraui - like a Walmart/K-Mart with huge food/liquor store added.

Cabs are plentiful. A ride from SCC to town (or back after a night at Carlos & Charlie's) is about $5 USD; from SCC south to some of the beaches (Playa Corona or Paradise Beach Paradise Beach Cozumel beaches , Mexico. Cozumel Beach , Cozumel restaurant, Cozumel snorkeling , cozumel bars have no admission fee) are about $12-15 USD each way. Car rentals are at least $50 or more with full insurance - and you WANT full insurance. So it sorta depends on what you plan to do.

Al

Cabs are plentiful. A ride from SCC to town (or back after a night at Carlos & Charlie's) is about $5 USD; from SCC south to some of the beaches (Playa Corona or Paradise Beach Paradise Beach Cozumel beaches , Mexico. Cozumel Beach , Cozumel restaurant, Cozumel snorkeling , cozumel bars have no admission fee) are about $12-15 USD each way. Car rentals are at least $50 or more with full insurance - and you WANT full insurance. So it sorta depends on what you plan to do.

Al
We were paying $3-4 US from Caribe Blue to the Square, always have? Sounds like maybe you need to check the rate card. Hehe I had my first real problem with a cabbie leaving the hotel for the ferry dock with luggage and a stop at Chedraui. He wanted $18 US and would not produce a rate card. I called a policeman over, who called a Tourism Assistant over - very nice fellow. He only got it down to $13, but I enjoyed making the cabbie wait for that at least. $18 for two $3 ride and 6 bags? Gimme a break. :mad:

The rest of the time the cabbies have been okay to good, and now that the US dollar is not 11 Peso, maybe I'll start tipping them more. Actually the cabbies were nicer than usual this trip and I tipped a few for the first time. Maybe they're glad to have what business they're getting; still don't know what was the deal with the one? :no

Dan, so you prefer cabbing around the island then renting a car, buying insurance..etc?

Dan, so you prefer cabbing around the island then renting a car, buying insurance..etc?

Dan? Do you mean Don? I'm not Don, but we speak for each other sometimes... ;^)

It depends on where you are staying and how often you want to go to town. If you are close in, like from the Presidente northward, and plan on eating dinners in town, I'd recommend cabbing it for everything but the around the island excursion, which is a must-do. If you are staying at the southern resorts, cab rides can be $15-20 each way, so a rent car might be the cheaper way to go unless you hole up at the resort and don't get to town much/at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom