I’m never using a BC again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wing is not counterproductive, you just don't leave any air in it when you are making your final approach to the beach. That is how many of our beach dives go. You get under as soon as possible when going out and you stay under as long as possible when coming in until you are able to stand up and walk out without getting tossed.
Did you read the part about:
“It’s just more wear and tear, possible urchin spine holes to fix, and I have to clean it.”

This was last week, 860 lbs.
IMG_0904.jpeg

I dig the Conshelf XI.... Looks damn clean too!
Just put a kit in it as a matter of fact.
That reg has collector provenance BTW.
It was used to help take the largest ever recorded jade boulder (9000 lbs.) from Jade Cove, a remote section of coastline in Monterey County, California.
Don Wobber and Gary Carmignani were the guys in charge. That was gary’s reg, he gave it to me.
I use it, it’s a great minimalist beach diving reg.

Would the inadvertently released eggs be any more than would be released naturally (if the urchins were not crushed)? I'm just curious. It sounds like so much work dragging heavy bags in, especially through the surf. Sounds like hell on the lift bags.
My thoughts exactly. Besides, a culled urchin can release only unfertilized eggs.

We don’t know that.
That’s why we’re leaving the science to the
professional scientists with years if training in these matters.
How come? I thought it is an established fact that urchins have external fertilization. Just like salmon, so caviar (eggs) taken from caught salmon is non-fertilized.

How come? I thought it is an established fact that urchins have external fertilization. Just like salmon, so caviar (eggs) taken from caught salmon is non-fertilized.
Because you’re smashing males along with females broadcasting everything into the water column at the same time. When we harvest them you can even see a last ditch effort by them to spawn. You can see the eggs come out of the females on top of the shell and the milk out of the males on top of the shell. But this is on dry land when they finally realize they are in trouble but it’s too late, they are in buckets.
They do this under duress even when they are smashed, they don’t die right away.
Do you have a PhD in this area of study to make such an assertion? Because the people who are telling us not to cull them do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom