I'm mad at Dive-aholic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the bottom line is that almost all of us dive for fun. And all of us know that diving has risks, and as you up the ante for diving complexity, the risks increase and a rational risk assessment becomes more and more important.

I can compare diving sidemount to diving the way I've already been trained to do, and see the differences, and think about the advantages of one or the other. I can also ask questions of people with more experience than I have, and perhaps have my eyes opened to things I would not otherwise have thought of (see my "Now the other side" thread :) ). I may decide to accept something I think is slightly higher risk, for the payoff in increased fun or greater ease. The decision is mine and my buddies'. I've said a lot of times on this board that I think everybody has a right to make his own risk assessment, and my only criticisms are when those evaluations are done with inadequate information, or when the diver involved is sharing those risks with someone who either doesn't know enough to make a good decision, or perhaps is unaware of the risks that his buddy has decided to assume (for example, diving with a Type I diabetic who doesn't tell you he has the illness).

Anyway, DIR or not -- and it's not -- I'm excited about exploring this new way of diving. For one thing, it puts me back on the steep part of the learning curve, which is someplace I'm always happy to be!

Good for you Lynne. Its not DIR but guess what, they cannot prove that BM is any safer than SM. Everything in life evolves, good thing too. If not a lot of people would still be walking around in Mullets. If the closed minded BMers want to dismiss SM and stay stuck in the 70s none of us care. Its a great way to dive and fun too with all that you can do.

If you clearly remember the 70's, you weren't enjoying them nearly enough . . . :D

If you clearly remember the 70's, you weren't enjoying them nearly enough . . . :D

But I was only 8 when it ended!! There is lots of evidence it existed tho :D

SM is primarily a tool to get into nasty tight spots, where you often can't easily function as a good teammate.
Quite a bold statement for someone with zero experience with SM and cave diving.

Many SM caves are SM due to a single restriction such as a bedding plane, where two divers can swim side by side, and a team can still function.

Quite a bold statement for someone with zero experience with SM and cave diving.

Many SM caves are SM due to a single restriction such as a bedding plane, where two divers can swim side by side, and a team can still function.

Yep, or a restriction or two, with crazy large passage otherwise.

...or diving off a small boat out on some river without wrecking your, currently healthy, back.

...or a miriad of other legitimate reasons :p

Back
Top Bottom