I'm literally a moving ScubaPro billboard (sponsor me)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is your preferred brand now?
That's a good question. The answer is that I really don't have one.

I wear a lot of gear from one company, but that is for the same reason that I used to be a walking ScubaPro billboard--I was the tech instructor for a shop that sold that line and got me excellent discounts on that gear. That is the only reason I use that gear. I obviously think the gear is OK, or I would not use it. Do I believe it is the best? No--but that requires some explanation.

My last tech diving happened two weekends ago. I just searched my memory and decided that I used gear from 8 different companies. I am about to go on an extended recreational dive trip in about a week, and for those dives, I will use gear from 7 different companies. I could be forgetting something.

Some of the reasons for the diversity:
  • Time passes, and gear accumulates. On the tech trip, I took 3 different brands of canister lights. Two of them were selected because of past shop affiliation. Each one had once been my primary, but 2 were eventually surpassed as technology changed. I actually used all 3 that weekend for unusual reasons.
  • Different companies have different strengths. I have learned over time not to get some kinds of gear from a company that sells other stuff I will use readily.
  • I am no longer tied to a dive shop, so I can buy whatever brand I want. Fortunately, I still get a good discount from a couple different sources, so I can pick and choose.
  • I believe that for a lot of gear, there is little difference in the choices, so I go with the best price available.
  • With tech gear, many of the options are from companies small enough that you can know the owner, either personally or by reputation, and that definitely flavors my choices. When I like an owner and/or his reputation, I will prefer that company when making a choice, and I will recommend it to friends. The opposite is also true. There is one popular choice I will not consider when buying gear because I have no desire to support that owner.
By the way, the belief that the instructor influences the gear choices of the students is definitely true.

Agreed. i have some many different brands it's nuts lol. The instructor influencing gear choices is true, but personally, I am not oto influenced by others. I choose to try the gear, when optional, and see how I like it. Had my OW instructor try to tell a classmate he "needed" the 150 usd mask because it "was the best fit" it wasn't he went with the one he chose which was 50 usd. That being said. When I get my tec cert, that person has way more knowledge/use whith CCRs and know which ones are the "better" ones, so to an extent, I agree with you. I personally like the catalina stage bottles. If you pm, I would like to know what brand this is
"one popular choice I will not consider when buying gear because I have no desire to support that owner."

If you pm, I would like to know what brand this is
"one popular choice I will not consider when buying gear because I have no desire to support that owner."
Sorry, but I only share that kind of information with personal friends.

Update on my end. 16+ years certified and I still own absolutely nothing ScubaPro. That's all.

I bought my first regulator in 1972, Scubapro MK 5/109, I still dive it occasionally. I've only had a few regulators over the years, all Scubapro. They all still work fine, some are dived by other family members, one is on my pony. I currently dive a Scubapro MK 25 with a S600 primary and C370 backup.

Computers are another strory, Oceanic, Cochran, Dive Rite, and Shearwater. My Teric is my favorite computer ever, when it works Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?
I'm also still diving my trusty 11+ year old Oceanic VT3, 1657 dives, 1734 hours. That will become 1659 dives this afternoon :)

Only item on own that is Scubapro is the jetfins since they are great tec fins, and just too reasonably priced not to pick up lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom