I'm going to need some dive buddies!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
drop me for the next guy that comes around, eh?....lol
lol You know you are my first pick in dive buddies, but don't you have some plans for part of that time :wink:

Oh yeah...I am not the world's best buddy as my focus is going really slow and checking everything out & taking photos...it doesn't suit everyone :crafty:

onfloat:
Well, the Marine Corps has seen fit to move me to Oahu. I plan on being there for the next 3 or 4 years. I have about 75 dives, most of them in the San Diego area. I am DIR inclined and equiped to that effect. I have completed the GUE/DIR Fundamentals course. I'm planning on continuing my GUE education as time and money permit. I put this out just so you know my frame of mind. I will dive with darn near anyone as long as we discuss the plan before we hit the water, I hope you all feel the same. I'm looking for someone to show me the local sites and possibly practice a few skills. I will be arriving the last week of Jan, but probably won't see most of my gear until late Feb/Early March.

Tom:

I think you will have absolutely no problem whatsoever finding a number of dive buddies. There are a number of active clubs on the island. I currently belong to 3, but I know there are more. Some ideas:

Ocean Concepts - has shops located on many of the bases. There's a yearly fee, but discounted for military members.

Island Divers - has a shop located on Hickam. No charge for membership.

Breeze Hawaii - shops in Hawaii Kai and Kaimuki - $24 for yearly membership.

Captain Bruce's - no charge for membership.

The above I've listed are dive operators, and they'll have either special club dives or if there's space, you can hop on any of their dives at the club rate if there's room available. The club rates for a 2 tank boat dive run in the $35 - $50 range.

Additionally, there is the Sea Lancers - open to DOD and active military only. Don't know much about them.

Hawaii Sea Adventures is a dive shop in Aiea that offers tech classes and I know there are several DIR divers that frequent the shop. They also have a club (for a fee) that arranges periodic club boat dives. Additionally, in the summer every Friday night they do night dives on the North Shore - open to anyone, not just club members. Really nice group of people.

At any rate, hope the info above gives you some helpful information. Additionally, if you're so inclined, give me a holler once you get into town if you're interested. My buddies and I primarily boat dive from October through April, but come summer we're all about shore diving.

Tom-

I just need to update some of the information on one of the clubs that I provided a few days ago, as it might make a difference as to whether you decide to look into it further.

Just received a club newsletter yesterday from Island Divers - they will now be charging a fee for membership of $75 a year. The club has become more organized over the past year - now they even have a set schedule of club dives through the entire year of 2005 - you can see it here: www.oahuscubadiving.com/index.php/club/events/

There's a club dive scheduled almost every weekend.

Something new that I haven't seen before is a 3 day trip they have scheduled for next month - a 3 day boat trip that will hit sites at Maui, Molokai and Lanai. 9 dives in 3 days. Sounds very intriguing - despite the potential for it to be a puke fest for me - but I've already allocated all my vacation funds for this coming year. You can see the entire itinerary at http://www.islanddivershawaii.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.pl in the "Off Oahu Trips".

Hopefully they'll do something like this again when I have the funds available. Anyway, just wanted to update the info I provided earlier.

Hi my friend and I will be in the area May 19-21 she is a certified diver, and would love to dive while we are in the area, I was looking at Hanauma Bay looks like a spot where she can dive and I could snorkel, but she could use a buddy, she is bringing some of her own gear but needs to rent a BCD, weights, and tank, know any good dive shops? if you are able to dive in that time period please let us know. look forword to hearing from you thanks.

chepar:
Something new that I haven't seen before is a 3 day trip they have scheduled for next month - a 3 day boat trip that will hit sites at Maui, Molokai and Lanai. 9 dives in 3 days. Sounds very intriguing - despite the potential for it to be a puke fest for me - but I've already allocated all my vacation funds for this coming year. You can see the entire itinerary at http://www.islanddivershawaii.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.pl in the "Off Oahu Trips".

I went on that trip...It was GREAT!!!! Sharks, rays, whales, 8 drift dives, oh man I smile just remembering it! If they do another, you need to be on it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom