I'm a hypocrite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very cool video!

Hey Steve. Just being playful. Exactly. Sometimes your target audience is a customer, sometimes competition judges, and sometimes no one other than yourself. Making videos is fun.

Narration is not always necessary to tell a story and great footage with a nice soundtrack is always entertaining. Photo's and paintings don't have narration and when they are done well, they are considered art. I think the same can be said of video. Lighting, camera angles, soundtrack, editing, etc..

Ever seen Howard Hall's Ocean Requiem ?

Hey Ron,
You're right. After all these years perhaps I was taking things too seriously. I did have fun making this and still have a few changes I may make to it. Never the less, the majority of music videos I see have little creativity or fun to them, most seem almost all the same. I did gain a fresher perspective with this one so growth is still possible.
Steve

You are right. There are plenty of boring UW music videos out there. Just spend some time on youtube.

If money or business were involved, I'd be serious too. I was never good at mixing business/money with pleasure.

UW video is my hobby. I do it 100% for fun. Gives me the freedom to do as I please without concern for what others want. I show my work and hope people enjoy it, but if they don't, that's ok. Constructive criticism is a good thing, and sometimes my editing style or music choice just doesn't sit well with people.

I'd like to see more videos from you in this style. It's not that much different than your narrated trip videos. Seeing a few of them, you definitely have professional camera and editing skills. Along with a creative eye. Maybe if you imagined your target audience were potential travel customers from non English speaking countries ?

I really enjoyed it....... and I posted a comment for you, too. :D Just my amateur videographer 2 cents. :D

robin
finally the owner of an HD camcorder, just need to get a housing and start diving with it!!!

Hi Steve,
Very enjoyable. Sometimes I think every videographer starts out making a "mood" video with long slow dissolves, way too long clips, and music to put you to sleep. I know I did.

Years ago I made a series of videos to educate kids on underwater creatures using humor. One of the most popular was called "Dancing Fish". I put it together just for fun but it became, and still is, very popular. Its' here:
Guam videos

Much fun to watch, good use of speed manipulation and I'm sure the kids enjoyed it. I think you might have a problem with the way it was encoded as there were many interlacing artifacts. What are you editing and shooting with?
Steve
ps. Now that I think of it, I never made one of those long, soothing somnambulistic music videos. Maybe I should try one. Nah.... The first one I ever made was a narrated piece in 8mm on the Galapagos.

Haven't made a music video for years, never saw the purpose in them as they had no story or narration.

Well done video Steve. But I have to disagree when it comes to music videos not having any narrative. I guess you're somewhat right when it comes to most U/W videos without narration but I make a living off of topside music videos that are all narrative based.

Personally I'm not a fan of vocal narration in u/w videos and feel that the images will tell the stories themselves. If they don't it gets trashed. But that's just my style, probably because my career started with shooting/editing/producing/directing music videos.

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom