Illinois diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, so there is a chance I may have to leave the wreck diving of North Carolina, and move back to Illinois (springfield or st louis area - yes I know st louis is in missouri!)

What diving is there? Any diving in Lake Michigan? (quality?) any local mudhole quarries to get me by between trips to the coast and the tropics?)

Mgictwngr hit it right on the head. Lake Michigan being only a 4.5 hours from STL offers excellent wreck diving for all skill levels. Mermet Springs is a quarry in southern Illinois that is favored by most. Haigh quarry in northen Illinois, Bredina Springs will be opening this spring, that's about 1.5 hours north of STL. There are plenty of diving locations around Missouri and Illinois to tide you over until your next trip. There's enough hearty and competent divers around here dive with as well. Welcome to the area!

Mgictwngr hit it right on the head. Lake Michigan being only a 4.5 hours from STL offers excellent wreck diving for all skill levels. Mermet Springs is a quarry in southern Illinois that is favored by most. Haigh quarry in northen Illinois, Bredina Springs will be opening this spring, that's about 1.5 hours north of STL. There are plenty of diving locations around Missouri and Illinois to tide you over until your next trip. There's enough hearty and competent divers around here dive with as well. Welcome to the area!
job app 1 of 3 just turned us down - although it was the least likely to come through, oh well, still are 2 more candidates to bring us back to the midwest.

although I will definately get the use out of my drysuit that has been missing here in NC.

Thanks for the info on Bredina Springs. Not a lot closer, but another dive site to check out.

Hey, I just checked the temp/visibility on their website, and its 80 degrees at the surface! Bayahibe, DR was only 78! I'm so there! :)

Thanks for the info on Bredina Springs. Not a lot closer, but another dive site to check out.

Hey, I just checked the temp/visibility on their website, and its 80 degrees at the surface! Bayahibe, DR was only 78! I'm so there! :)

Obviously not the current conditions. I dove there once last summer when my LDS made special arrangements with the owners (nice folks!) for a bunch of us to come down and check it out.
It has great potential, but there was a lot of work still to be done, and as far as I know, they have not yet opened on a regular basis.

Obviously not the current conditions. I dove there once last summer when my LDS made special arrangements with the owners (nice folks!) for a bunch of us to come down and check it out.
It has great potential, but there was a lot of work still to be done, and as far as I know, they have not yet opened on a regular basis.

Yeah, I figured that out. Still, another relatively local dive site is a very welcome thing, as is the prospect of sturgeon.

Scuba Adventurer

Missouri Dive Locations

Map Location Dive Site City Or Town
Dewey Short Branson
Oronogo Blue Water Lake Oronogo / Joplin
3 Pamme De Terre Hermitage
Quail Run Divers Quarry Rolla
5 Eugene Jefferson City
Bonne Terre Mine Bonne Terre
Stockton Lake Stockton

Missouri Map with links below

Go to scubaadventurer.com for map.