Iklite Service Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kenmc6922

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello All,

I sent my housing & strobe in for repairs April 5 2006 through Canadian Divers (Sales Rep for Ikelite) and to this date I have still not been returned to me. Ikelite did not get them until earlier this month from Canadian Divers with the delays I requested Ikelite to return them to me and they sent (under warranty) back to Canadian Divers.
Tom from Ikelite never seems to respond to ANY e-mails and I have had to call and talk with Rhonda as every time they are in meetings or on break. She has been helpful and sent parts (O-rings) to me quicker than anyone else. Tom finally responded yesterday after threat to post and involved RCMP on fraud.
I gave Canadian Divers / Ikelite until today to resolve this problem but all I got was headache and delays now they want me to wait until next week for a decision on what I proposed to make this matter go away. With the long weekend coming for both Countries I found that unacceptable as I would now be without for more than 3 months by the time the issue gets resolved.

Ken
Kenmc6922@yahoo.com

kenmc6922:
Hello All,

I sent my housing & strobe in for repairs April 5 2006 through Canadian Divers (Sales Rep for Ikelite) and to this date I have still not been returned to me. Ikelite did not get them until earlier this month from Canadian Divers with the delays I requested Ikelite to return them to me and they sent (under warranty) back to Canadian Divers.
Tom from Ikelite never seems to respond to ANY e-mails and I have had to call and talk with Rhonda as every time they are in meetings or on break. She has been helpful and sent parts (O-rings) to me quicker than anyone else. Tom finally responded yesterday after threat to post and involved RCMP on fraud.
I gave Canadian Divers / Ikelite until today to resolve this problem but all I got was headache and delays now they want me to wait until next week for a decision on what I proposed to make this matter go away. With the long weekend coming for both Countries I found that unacceptable as I would now be without for more than 3 months by the time the issue gets resolved.

Ken
Kenmc6922@yahoo.com

sounds like the issue is with Canadian Divers not ikelite..why did it take 8-9 weeks for items to get to imkelite..canadian divers forgot to send it off promptly?you can send it yourself to ikelite..what is the repair for?

I agree, it sounds like a problem with Canadian Divers. If Ikelite didn't get the housing until 2 months after you sent it to Canadian Divers, I don't think it would be Ikelite's fault. I've always had great service with Ike. I've had a few issues with my housing since I got it last year, and they've always been quick to respond.

I agree. Blaming Ikelite for a 3 month delay when they didn't get it until a couple weeks ago is not a very fair accusation. What kind of proposal "to make it all go away" did you threaten? I obviously only know the details you supplied, but it still seems like you have threatened Ikelite with a criminal action and an Internet "bad mouthing" unless they do whatever you proposed, and the problem wasn't even Ikelite's fault.

IMO, you have jumped the gun by accusing anyone of "fraud." It sounds as though Canadian Divers was only negligent and Ikelite was innocent.

I had a problem with a flooded strobe. Sent it directly to Ikelite. They replaced it in less than a month from the time I sent it to them. Note, I live in Canada.

Sounds like the Canadian distributor is the cog in the wheel. If Ikelite receives your goods through them I suggest that they are obligated to return them the same way.

I sent my housing to Ikelite for a rebuild, from Canada, at the end of April ad I had it back two weeks after they received it. The repair department sent me emails to OK new parts and I had a great experience overall.
I too would look at Canadian Divers as the source of the problem.

So the timeline is:

April 5th, you drop off your stuff with Canadian Divers
June 1st~7th (whatEVER eariler this month means) Ikelite receives the Stuff for repair.
Some time maybe within the last week (after Ike has the housing and strobe maybe two weeks at most) you demand the Ike sends the unit back to Canadian Divers. :confused:
June 23rd, the camera is now back in Canada, and you threaten legal action if your demands are not agreed upon (I am GUESSING you are demanding NEW equipment).
Now - They (whomever that is: Ike/Canadian Divers) want a few days to consider this.

So you have left out a LOT of facts! :shakehead

What was wrong with the housing?
What was wrong with the strobe?
Was this covered under warranty?
Was there a dispute on warranty coverage?
Why did Canadian Divers have the camera for two months, and what were they doing during that time?
Why did you allow Canadian Divers to keep the items for so long if they needed to go back to Ike?
Why did you not let Ikelite complete repairs?
What resolution did you demand?

Based on Ike's service record, and the questionable lack of detail in this post it sounds as if you may have flooded or somehow damaged the strobe and housing while under waranty, and neither Canadian Divers, nor Ike would service this under waranty?

This is of course complete speculation, but this is my line of thinking until you provide more specifics indicating otherwise. In the absence of facts, we will jump to conclusions! :eyebrow:

Frankly, as soon as I heard that Canadian Diver's had the housing for 2 months, what sprung to my mind is that they owed money to Ikelite and knew that they could not send it back without payment. This has happened to me a couple of times with equipment that was not dive related. You were talking to CD during this time and even asked Ike to send the housing directly to you. Seems as though you suspected something was up with CD.
Just a thought.

Diver Dennis:
Frankly, as soon as I heard that Canadian Diver's had the housing for 2 months, what sprung to my mind is that they owed money to Ikelite and knew that they could not send it back without payment. This has happened to me a couple of times with equipment that was not dive related. You were talking to CD during this time and even asked Ike to send the housing directly to you. Seems as though you suspected something was up with CD.
Just a thought.

Ahhhh, yet another theory! :D

Yet the camera DID go back to Ike? Seems to me if Ike has a beef with an authorized retailer,than that should be between them and the retailer, and leave the customer out of the mix. But maybe that is not reality! :11:

I guess we will have to wait for the next exciting installment to find out! :lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom