ikelite vs Canon Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ocrmaster:
dennis just tell me when are free i can take off anytime to meet up with you.

i will pm you my celphone number. i would really love to meet a master like you.

i got a casio ex-z850 today and all i can say is wow!!!

i will take several weeks to learn to use the Canon S80. keeping my finger cross
that i can learn to use it.

Hold on there. I'm far from being a master, I just started in November and I don't know that much about your camera. There are people on this board that know far more than I do. Ron is right, you have to learn the basics first and I'm just doing that myself.

Diver Dennis:
Hold on there. I'm far from being a master, I just started in November and I don't know that much about your camera. There are people on this board that know far more than I do. Ron is right, you have to learn the basics first and I'm just doing that myself.

Dennis, based on what I've seen of your work, you have the STUFF down. Sure there maybe technical aspects that you have not mastered, however the bottom line is the bottom line, and that is results! You got those my friend!

So here's a quiz... what aperture is used when you have two lights set to output at f5.6? :D

That's what I mean Ron. You are a Pro and I've read a lot of your posts for advice but I'm just feeling my way through this. I am getting better and I'm flattered by your comments but I have a long way to go. I can offer advice on settings that I might use, I left them in my gallery but I'm not confident enough in my abilities to try to teach anyone.

f5.6...:D

RonFrank:
All I can say also is WOW! How many PnS digital camera's do you need? If you carry them all, then you are approaching the weight of a real camera. :D

:rofl2:
Thanks for that :).

cjames:
When I was in Cozumel last month, 2 divers were using the Canon housing and both of them had leakage issues. I don't think they're really rigged for anything more than 40-50 ft. I checked the Orings on both and they looked ok.

Your statement is inaccurate.
Housings for most of the Canon line are rated down to 130ft.
While there are a few models that have a sort of water-resistant/all weather housing built for them with a depth rating of about 10ft or so I think.
These are the minority and the depth limit is clearly stated on the housing, the manual and whatever box it came in.

A listing of the Canon housing range can be found here
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/uwphoto/page/16-e.html

There are a multitude of reasons why a housing could leak, hair,sand or lint on the oring, improperly seated oring, too much grease added and so on...
I'd also like to add that these 'reasons' are not specific to Canon housings and can and do occur in other housing brands.

casio ex-z850 does have a manual mode.

i dont plan to bring several cameras. Only two.

My s80 camera and housing. and my casio ex-z850 for taking surface shots.

rONfRANK:
are you going to understand photo basics? Cause it would be rather pontless if you do not
:roll:

you must be such a great photographer that you can judge. W0W!

Diver Dennis your Photographic composition, colors, and subjects are so much more superior compared to some Person here.

I would love and truly humbled to learn from you.

ocrmaster:
you must be such a great photographer that you can judge. W0W!

Diver Dennis your Photographic composition, colors, and subjects are so much more superior compared to some Person here.

I would love and truly humbled to learn from you.

I don't have much respect for people who beat around the bush.

If you think the images that Dennis has made are better than what are in my gallary, well I agree for the most part. Keep in mind that Dennis tends to shoot in macro mode, and has a much better setup than I use. I was happy with the results I got using the tools I had, and as a first attempt. I don't live anywhere near good diving, so most of my dives don't involve a camera, and do involve 5foot vis if that.

But Dennis has a few things going for him that you and I don't, basically a real camera, and a couple of strobes. Photography is equipment based to a large degree so that does make a difference. He also has mostly not attempted to shoot WA shots which is just about all I did shoot, and WA shots tends to be a bit more difficult UW as the subjects are not completely lit with the flash. I shoot this way mainly because I did not have stobes, and the macro capability of my S70 is rather limited.

I'm certainly not the most talented photographer, but I have a couple things you do not, and that is a lot of professional topside experience including teaching courses at the college level, and I do have a gallary of images that I've done UW. I'm sure I can improve given more diving opportunities, and a better setup which is in the works.

I'm always looking to improve my images, so rather than taking cheap shots, I would suggest that you provide suggestions on what can be done better. I look forward to seeing your images? Where are they BTW?

man, how did I miss this rumble?

Dennis has gotten very good, I was just telling him so the other day. Hoping some of it might rub off on me. But orcaboy, you have to stand in line for that position around here, see, I have been working that angle for awhile now. And we are lucky to have Ron consulting, so don't go messing that up please. If some of these guys decide we are ingrates, well then there goes our very sweet situation with getting help.

ocrmaster, I have to be honest with you. I've been trying to tell you that I'm new at this and I'm NOT a teacher. When I said you should come to Anilao, I also mentioned that there will be many others there with similar set ups as yours and they are terrific people to learn from. I really can't teach you anything when I'm just trying to learn myself. I'm flattered by your comments but I don't think me acting like a teacher will teach you much.
I'm not sure where you are based but look on the internet and try to find a REAL U/W photographer near you. The other thing is to dive with your camera and gain some experience handling it underwater. I'm not used to mine yet and I'm still practicing.

Yah Ron, I wish I had Dennis' set up too. We're planning on stealing it from him just to let you know, not beating around the bush. :D joke joke joke :wink:

Back
Top Bottom