Ikelite SpD-AA 50W Light Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlocy

Reaction score
I purchased an Ikelite SpD-AA 50W light for use in low vis/blackwater conditions. I have been happy with the performance but would like to know if anyone has any comments regarding this torch and how it compares to others, (HID) for use in a low vis environment.

I have one, too. Certainly a bright sucker, and pretty good in silt if you keep it tightly focused. I recommend you follow the directions in the manual about keeping the batteries fresh. (Bit of a pain recharging the thing every month in the dead of winter.)

I've moved on to a Niterider BW3000, though. The battery's 1/10 the size and gives me similar performance, the switch is easier to use and I never found an easy way to mount the head of the Ikelite, whereas the BW3000 head just straps to your wrist and you'd never know it was there.

doole:
I've moved on to a Niterider BW3000, though. The battery's 1/10 the size and gives me similar performance, the switch is easier to use and I never found an easy way to mount the head of the Ikelite, whereas the BW3000 head just straps to your wrist and you'd never know it was there.

doole,
What kind of diving do u do? What were the reasons that you went with the BW3000 instead of another brand? I'm looking to step up from pistol grip lights, but the upgrade $$$ is kind of painful.

Hantzu

Reasons for my choosing BW3000: In my experience, niterider stuff does exactly what they say it does, and that unit in particular is very small and VERY good at being hands-free. (Most of my diving is as an instructor and the light HAS to be hands-free.)

I also like the fact that it's very easy to switch on and off and it's so tiny as to be positively cute. (Although that has many other advantages.) It's not the brightest light on the planet, but it generates ENOUGH light for any normal use. (Not video or anything specialized, although they make that kind of stuff as well.)

One other little thing I didn't like about the Ikelite: in silt, you need to keep the beam tightly focused, and that thing was so bright that the tightly focused spot was getting to be kind of hard on the old eyeballs. You don't need to burn a hole in the reef after all; you just need to see it. <g>

HIH chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom