Ikelite Problem - Resolved

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DvrSkip

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Bought housing and camera from Ikelite. Camera didn't work - would not focus, jumpy video, white-balance all messed up. Housing buttons were misaligned with camera buttons so that three buttons touched the camera body instead of the camera controls!

Sent it back and it came back as a "reconditioned" camera (Nikkon L28), and someone did a totally funky job of jury-rigging the rubber tips on the housing buttons to make them reach sideways (so they'd reach the camera controls). Used rubber button tips from other housings apparently and trimmed them with a razor blade.

I called Ikelite and told them what a crappy job they did and that I wanted to return it and get a full refund. They said they don't do refunds. So I paid $400.00 for a reconditioned camera with a housing in which the control buttons are after-thoughts (and they are so ill-fitting they fall off when you open the housing).

If you think Ikelite will back up what they sell, think again. Once you buy from Ikelite, it's yours whether or not it works.

skip

I guess the only positive thing about this story is that you only bought a $400 package. Sell it and buy a GoPro. People seem to love those things.

The L28 is a crappy camera coupled with the housing is their cheapest, entry level package. Maybe its one of those "You get what you pay for" stories.

Bought housing and camera from Ikelite.

Are you sure you got the right housing? did it actually come from Ikelite or from a dealer?

I've had a number of their housings over the years, and they're pretty much all custom for each camera. I'm not sure why yours wouldn't fit, except that it's just the wrong housing.

That is unacceptable, and you shouldn't let them get away with it. How long ago did you buy it? When did you send it in?

Personally, I would demand a refund, talk to a manager if I had to, etc...if that didn't work, one call to Amex and it'd be charged back to Ikelite. There is no way in hell I would buy something new then accept a refurb + patch job like that.

I have ikelite strobes-ss75-150-225-ds50-a couple of ds125 strobes..housings for 3 digital cameras-list goes on. Using Ike products going back to the 1970's.. Always had decent to very good customer service from them. You did say it was purchased new. Did you get it from a authorized LDS? If purchased from a LDS what did they tell you, as they sold the item to you, not ikelite. If my LDS sold a product that was truly defective, and clearly was not user error, we would make this right.
If this item was recently purchased Ike does take back returns sent to them thru their dealer network.There may be a restocking fee, and if there was , the LDS that sold this to you should absorb that loss as a cost of doing business.

Ikelite emailed me and has now set things right. The "repair" job was very shoddy, not even a workable band-aid, but they have apologized and are replacing both the housing and the camera with all new housing and camera. The purchase was from LDS who told me to call and discuss the issue directly with Ikelite when I first purchased the housing/camera and found neither worked and asked me to call them again when the "repaired" housing and camera were returned to me. I think the LDS wanted Ikelite to hear directly from me in order to avoid second-hand information. LDS also had me write out a detailed statement of the problems.

I too have always had excellent service from Ikelite, own several housings, strobes, etc., and was thus extra-shocked at the shoddy repair work and being told no refunds, tough luck. But for whatever reason it seems they have once again come through with a most satisfactory resolution.

MODS: You may delete this thread or change the title to reflect the current situation.

I've been selling ikelite for a very long time. Seems like just under 2 decades. I've never heard of the service you've received. I wonder if the LDS was even affiliated with them. Perhaps he sold you something that he didn't get from Ikelite directly, and as such they didn't want to help with second hand equipment. For example... If a non-partnered store buys an Oceanic regulator from some unauthorized dealer, then sells it to you, Oceanic is NOT going to take care of any warranty issue (for free) you have because you didn't buy it from an authorized dealer.

Sounds like it's resolved now, just weird that you had the problem in the first place. My assumption is the LDS screwed up not Ikelite, but you know what they say about assumptions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom