Ikelite Housing Aluminum vs Fully Clear Molded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeronimoDF

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Guys,
I am hoping you guys can answer this question. I am going to be buying an Ikelite Housing for my D100, and I am curious what the advantages/disadvantages are for the aluminum backed housing verses the fully clear molded housing? (* Both are rated to 200ft *) The aluminum is about 500 dollars more, so is it a better housing or just the full clear molded just cheaper to produce. Ikelite is releasing the the clear molded housing this month. Has anyone found one is better than another? Thanks again for all your insight.

The website for the alumnium backed housing is
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2d100.html
The website for the clear molded housing is
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2dslr_d100.html

Thanks again,

Danny

Ike, any idea on the cheaper small clear moded sweetheart for a D70 or perhaps the Fuji S3?

Fuji S3 size is similar to the S2 and will require the same aluminum back housing type. The new D70 Nikon should adapt nicely to the small clear molded housing we use for the Canon digital Rebel and Nikon D100. Should finally have this housing for the Canon 10D by end of March or during April.

Ike, quick question regarding the aluminum back housing. I think Ikelite did mentioned something about possibly working on decoding D-TTL for Nikon D100. I assume that it would be some kind of circuit board embedded in the rear panel like the housing for C5060. In case of the Aluminum back housing like the one possibly for the new S3, would this D-TTL decoder still going to be an option?

And while we are on the topic of Nikon/Fuji dSLR, a quick question regarding the port system. I don't see the Nikon AF Zoom-Micro Nikkor 70-180mm f/4.5-5.6D ED lens listed in your port chart. Is there an Ikelite port available for this lens?

Nikkor 70-180mm is not adaptable. We solved Olympus digital TTL, are working on Canon and studying Nikon which is confusing the issues by going from D-TTL to I-TTL.

Ike, thanks for the info. Hopefully the D-TTL, I-TTL issue can be solved. I was thinking of the Canon as an upgrade but now seeing the D70 and S3 as a better option mainly because of the lens selection. Oh well, I guess I can't have it all.
Of course, I am still trying to convert a few misguided dive buddies from Sea and Sea to Ikelite but will need lots of help with TTL compatibility and ports for all the lens that would be handy for u/w photography :)

The Hamburger, your avatar is making me hungry, dude...

wait... does that make me a cannibal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom