Ikelite DS125 vs DS160

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm ready to add a second strobe. I currently have a DS125. I was going to purchase a DS160 since the DS125's have been discontinued, but now have the opportunity to add a second DS125.

I checked with Ikelite and they tell me that I will be able to hook a DS160 with my DS125 on the dual sync cord and still have TTL (not the case with older DS125's that haven't had the upgrade).

The main differences I see:

DS160
Energy Rating 160 watt-sec
Recycle 1.5 sec
Guide # (ISO 100) 76' Surface-38' underwater
Full Power Flashes-225
Firing Modes-TTL, Full, 9 fractional powers
Modeling Light-5 watt LED

DS125
Energy Rating-110 watt-sec
Recycle Time-1 sec
Guide # (ISO 100) 64' Surface-32' underwater
Full Power Flashes-250
Firing Modes-TTL, Full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8
Modeling Light-Built in Halogen

The big ones that jump out at me are number of full power flashes and LED vs Halogen for the modeling light.

Any comments on the advantages/disadvantages of both?

I need to make a decision soon. Thanks to everyone in advance for your input :)

Even with wide angle shots in dark conditions I rarely use full power as something is invariably over exposed. different color modeling lights would make it easier to see that both strobes are pointed where you want them, if that's what you use them for. Most of my daytime shooting I leave the model light off and just point the strobe at the subject (or where it needs to be pointed - 100 deg coverage without diffuser). Constant use of the modeling light will drop the flash number as well. With dual strobe photography, one strobe is usually set at a lower output to give some 3-dimensional perspective, so I see no reason to not get the 160, unless the 125 is a smokin' deal.

Even with wide angle shots in dark conditions I rarely use full power as something is invariably over exposed. different color modeling lights would make it easier to see that both strobes are pointed where you want them, if that's what you use them for. Most of my daytime shooting I leave the model light off and just point the strobe at the subject (or where it needs to be pointed - 100 deg coverage without diffuser). Constant use of the modeling light will drop the flash number as well. With dual strobe photography, one strobe is usually set at a lower output to give some 3-dimensional perspective, so I see no reason to not get the 160, unless the 125 is a smokin' deal.

Thanks I appreciate your input. I'm soliciting input on other boards and getting similar recommendations :)

I also generally leave the modeling light off during the daytime. I have had my strobe die on me by the end of two dives when one was a night dive.

It's not a huge difference in price. I was thinking more along the lines of how they will match up. The consensus seems to be that they'll be fine :)

I'm sure a DS-160 will "work" with a DS-125 in TTL mode, but I am not certain the lighting will be "even". Since it's TTL it's supposed to change the amount of light based upon what the sensor sees, but I would like to see that in practice. It's usually not a good idea to mix two different types of strobes. BTW, Leisurepro has DS-125's for $599 brand new right now.

I'm sure a DS-160 will "work" with a DS-125 in TTL mode, but I am not certain the lighting will be "even". Since it's TTL it's supposed to change the amount of light based upon what the sensor sees, but I would like to see that in practice. It's usually not a good idea to mix two different types of strobes. BTW, Leisurepro has DS-125's for $599 brand new right now.

I understand what your saying and had the same thought as they do have different guide numbers. It will be interesting to see.

I opted to think long term and go with the DS160. I'm going to plan on selling the DS125 when I can and buy a second DS160. In the interim I'll have dual strobes. I will definitely be running some tests to see if this is going to be viable and will post the results here. I hopefully will have the new strobe by next week.

Helix put together a DS160 package for me which includes the substrobe, arms, smart charger and a dual sync cord for $1017, including free shippping :)

Thanks for the input :)

I will definitely be running some tests to see if this is going to be viable and will post the results here. I hopefully will have the new strobe by next week.

Any feedback on this? I'm currently facing the exact same dilemma.

Any feedback on this? I'm currently facing the exact same dilemma.

Between weather and work, I haven't had a chance to make that many dives recently, but there don't seem to be any issues that I can see so far. I've been very happy with the results that I've been getting.

Here are a few photos that I shot a couple of weeks ago on a day trip to Osezaki here in Japan:

n843784243_1453403_7773701.jpg

n843784243_1453405_2364345.jpg

n843784243_1453413_2967986.jpg

n843784243_1453436_7606225.jpg

n843784243_1453440_95377.jpg

Back
Top Bottom