Ikelite DS-51 Strobe VS. Ikelite AF35 Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bflem55

Contributor
Reaction score
So I am between getting these two strobes for my Cannon a570is. Any input would be appreciated. Im going to try to purchase one or the other this week from leisurepro.com

I've been toying around with getting a strobe for my A710IS and would also be interested in everyone's opinions.

For fully automatic operation the only supported strobe is the AF35. The DS51 requires a separate manual controller and the package will cost more. The DS51 is more powerful. IF you are comfortable using manual mode, you can set your flash to it's lowest setting and use any underwater slave strobe such as a Nikonos sb105. If you don't know what any of this means then order the AF35.

Neither, the Inon D2000 is the cat's meow and works great with that camera, I know becuase I have both.

IMG_0592.jpg

The D2000 is a far more capable strobe than either of those two, not even close.

N

Wow, that is a strong opinion.

Inon does not list the specs that I find important when comparing strobes.
I would like to know what the rated light output is? How about cycle time?

I use Ikelite DS-125s for my DLSR, the best thing about ikelite is the company. They stand behind there products if you ever have a problem. Also, I see many professionals shooting with ikelite strobes.

Wow, that is a strong opinion.

Inon does not list the specs that I find important when comparing strobes.
I would like to know what the rated light output is? How about cycle time?

I use Ikelite DS-125s for my DLSR, the best thing about ikelite is the company. They stand behind there products if you ever have a problem. Also, I see many professionals shooting with ikelite strobes.

You asked a question but put in only two choices. If those are what you want by all means. The Inon outperforms either of those two by a significant margin. The "light levels" you ask, that is the Guide Number. The Inon D2000 has an underwater GN of 20 and a coverage of 105 degrees. This is significantly greater than either of those, it has a fast recycle and multiple modes including sTTL auto, manual and external auto and multiple preflash and no preflash modes and was specifically designed with these type cameras in mind as well as being fully compatible with dSLRs (using optical sync).

From another thread:

Underwater Camera Articles: Underwater Strobes Compared - our tests on the specs

Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network

Model Ikelite DS 50 /////////////////INON D-2000, type 3
On the Web Ikelite ////////////////// INON
MSRP (USD) $ 400///////////////////// $ 539
Warranty Click for Warranty/////////////Click for Warranty
Energy 50 watt-sec. ////////////////////// n/a

Guide Number --17 (air) - 9 (u/w)/////////////////////20 (air) - n/a (u/w)
Color Temperature 5700 Ž° Kelvin //////////////////5500 Ž° Kelvin
Coverage 70° H ///////////////////////////////////100° H x 100° V
Batteries 4 AA Alk./NiCad/NiMH ///////////////////4AA Alk./NiCad/NiMH/Li
Flashes/charge 200 /////////////////////////// 420
Recycle time 3 sec. /////////////////////// 1.8 sec.

Weight (air) 600 g (1.32 lb.)//////////////////// 539 g (1.19 lb.)
Weight (u/w) n/a g (n/a lb.)////////////////////// 40 g (0.09 lb.)
Depth rating 92 meters (301 ft.)/////////////// 100 meters (328 ft.)
Pre-flash Compatibility Ignore or Mimic ///////////// Ignore or Mimic
Manual settings 1 //////////////// 13

Strong opinion? In exactly what category does the DS50 outperform the Inon D2000 or the amazing new miniature S2000? If you want to pay more for less be my guest. BTW, the S2000 is a miniature version of the already tiny D2000 with the same power and features except the external auto mode and has pricing of 439 dollars.

ChisVintageDiverPics2009034.jpg

Canon A570IS, Inon 100WAL lens with dome, Inon D2000, Ikelite tray and housing

DSCF0022-1.jpg

Ikelite A570IS housing fitted with the Inon 165AD fisheye lens on homemade AD to 67mm adapter

N

Last edited:
Of the two listed in the first post, I would go for a DS series strobe, as they are much easier to adapt to upgraded cameras. You may not want to hear it, but the A570's days are numbered. They are a great little cameras, I have one myself, but they are getting harder to find, so if you flood one your stuck looking for a new camera.

If you have no need for automatic exposure, the the Inons are a popular choice. If you do use Ikelite cases and don't use manual then avoid them.

I'll agree with many photographers that manual exposure is a great way to improve your photography (I do most of my photography in manual), but if you're not interested in investing the time to learn manual or you just want quick photos to remember your trip, it can be overkill. If you're underwater and something cool swims up, you don't necessarily have time to change the strobe settings for a specific distance before your cool subject swims off and leaves you with no shot, where as if you have TTL, you should be able to get an ok shot without any changes.

Post number 7?? huh??

I have an Ikelite case, the one in the picture, and I use an A570IS in auto, program, Av, Tv and manual--why do you say he cannot use auto with the Inon and a Ikelite case--I do---90% of the time??? The D2000 will operate as well in all of it's modes, sTTL, external auto and manual with the Ikelite housing and the A570IS. Why wouldn't it?

There are plenty of the A570IS on ebay, some still new in the box, I bought two extra units, one virtually new but for a tiny scratch and it cost me 12 dollars. New ones sell now for 120 to 160 in the box.

The Ikelite DS50, especially two of them is a fine strobe, if that is what the OP wants I am sure it will do well for him. It would almost take two DS50 to cover the same area the Inon D2000 covers but if not shooting ultra wide angle, would it matter?

Wife is skidaddling, to many sharks to count so she is headed for me:

IMG_0927-1.jpg

Canon A570IS in auto Av, Inon D2000 in external auto mode

The Inon is THE choice for auto or manual.

The Canon DC-12 housing modified for the Ikelite tray and Inon AD adapter:

DSCF0027.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

Canon A570IS in auto Av with Inon D2000 in external auto mode

N

Well, you should not shot auto, auto modes are designed for use in air. Put them in water and who knows what your going to get. Shot manual, you control everything and get what you want. It takes practice but you get much better results.

Also you need to get closer to your subjects, sharks are gray and white, not blue.

Attachments

• Web DSC_6433.JPG
    Web DSC_6433.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 565
Post number 7?? huh??

I have an Ikelite case, the one in the picture, and I use an A570IS in auto, program, Av, Tv and manual--why do you say he cannot use auto with the Inon and a Ikelite case--I do---90% of the time??? The D2000 will operate as well in all of it's modes, sTTL, external auto and manual with the Ikelite housing and the A570IS. Why wouldn't it?..

I should have been more specific. I was referring to eTTL, or nikon iTTL on a possible future camera. Preferred to the simplistic TTL in the P&S camera that assumes the light is coming from the weak on-board strobe. Since the Inon cannot communicate with the camera's circuits, it can't work with these improved systems. I agree that the shots you post are good example of ok shots. In full auto mode you can get acceptable shots, but it is very hard to get exemplary shots in auto mode.

I agree that the a570 can be found on ebay today, but I suspect that finding the camera in a year or two will be much more difficult. If the original poster is looking for a strobe now he should look for something that can be used with a variety of systems should he need a new camera. I think you would agree that both the Inon and the DS series are more flexible to use with different systems compared to the AF35, which has limited power and no manual mode.

Nemrod:
... In exactly what category does the DS50 outperform the Inon D2000 or the amazing new miniature S2000?...

A wire sync housing, or with a camera without built-in flash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom