Ikelite DS 125 vs DS 51??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pete X

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am setting up an Olympus SP-350 in an Ikelite housing and was wondering which flash to use. Is the DS-125 worth the extra money over the DS-51? I'm going with the Ikelite setup primarily for the reliability and the TTL setup. This is my first underwater setup and was wondering if the lighting feature and faster recycle time of the 125 was worth the additional expense. I am a "point and shoot" type guy with surface photography. Based on what I've read, I guess I'm going to have to learn to play with all of the settings with underwater photography.:confused:

Follow this link:

http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php

Check the box beside the DS-51 & the DS-125, then click the "compare selected" button at the bottom.

I like the the DS-51 uses AA batteries; but with 30 degrees more coverage, faster recycle time plus a great target light (can be used as a dive light for night dives), I would recommend the DS-125 if you can afford it.

HTH,
Dave

dbh:
Follow this link:

http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php

Check the box beside the DS-51 & the DS-125, then click the "compare selected" button at the bottom.

I like the the DS-51 uses AA batteries; but with 30 degrees more coverage, faster recycle time plus a great target light (can be used as a dive light for night dives), I would recommend the DS-125 if you can afford it.

HTH,
Dave

Additionally...

The DS-125 has a proprietary battery too, that is rechargable, and can shoot more than 200 flashes at full power on a single charge, and they recharge in only about 40 minutes. The DS-125 is great for wide angle, and is compatable with ikelite housings via TTL cable. You can then manually adjust the strobe, or use the TTL feature from your camera. (which according to ikelite - works)

I wouldn't recommend using your strobe as your dive light for night dives, but rather a seperate focus light, but in a pinch the ds-125 works fine as a light (without the diffuser on)

Pete X:
II am a "point and shoot" type guy with surface photography. Based on what I've read, I guess I'm going to have to learn to play with all of the settings with underwater photography.:confused:

I think you would be happy with either the 51 or the 125. IMO the ONLY reason to go with the 51 is money. I'm shooting the non-TTL SS200 currently. I will go with two DS-125's whan I have the bucks.

I agree with dbh & howarde above.

I would add that the 125 is substantially larger than the 51, so if size/weight are issues for you at all, you may find that you are happier with the smaller strobe despite the "sacrifices".

I think you need also to consider the environment you are going to be shooting in. If your dives are going to be in waters that can be pretty dark with limited visibility, like what I'm used to, the DS-125 will give you more flexibility with greater power and angle of coverage. If you're going to be in clear waters with lots of ambient light, having the extra power won't be as critical.

I was originally hoping to keep the package small and lightweight, but I'm told the Ikelite housing isn't that small anyway. Will the 125 be cumbersome with the SP-350 housing? Most of the diving will be in Southern California so I guess the added power would be nice.

Pete X:
I was originally hoping to keep the package small and lightweight, but I'm told the Ikelite housing isn't that small anyway. Will the 125 be cumbersome with the SP-350 housing? Most of the diving will be in Southern California so I guess the added power would be nice.
I dive with 2 DS-125's and I don't find them cumbersome in the water. They're a little heavy on a shore entry, but otherwise it's not a problem. I just fold it up as close together as it will go...

Reef Photo has the DS-125 for $595... I buy all of my UW stuff from him.

Hi Pete.
I dive with 1 or 2 DS-125s in socal too. I was going to get the 50s, since I only shoot macro, but I'm sooooo glad I went with the 125s. Having more juice allows you to stop down your aperture alot to get more depth of field on macro shots, if you are planning on scoring any spanish shawl shots. :) Plus, it can get REALLY dark here.

I've found the fast recycle time to be really great, and the recharger works fine. If I had gotten AAs, I would just have been having to recharge my AAs on the boat . . .

But if you're shore diving, the weight issue could be really key - the DS-125s are slightly negative in the water, but dang are they heavy in the air. My rig weighs like 25# on deck - a nuisance when carrying it around, handing it up, etc. And for shore entries especially, this might be a factor for you. Of course, I'm a girl, so I'm more sensitive to weight than some, but they're heavy. I have also had to check them when flying because they made my carryon too heavy.

good luck!
Taxgeek

ETA: I get all my stuff from Ryan at Reef also. He's very knowledgable and willing to discuss alternatives.

Thanks for all of the input. I've decided to splurge for the 125. Sounds like it will do everything I need plus some. Plus, it sounds like it will motivate me to get back in the gym!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom