If you're not in the US, where do you buy your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlyingSquid

Registered
Reaction score
Tell me if I'm wrong here, but for any fixed quality level, I assume that the very best prices for gear can be found in the US, because of many factors such as market size, location of manufacturers, market liquidity, strong competition.

So when or if you happen to not be in the US, where do you buy your equipment there where you are?

Do you buy it in your LDS? Online in your country? Buy it in a US online store and have it shipped to your country?

In any of those cases, do you have an idea of how what you pay compares with what an American would pay in the US for the very same model and brand or a similar one with comparable quality?

I have a lot of friends in Mexico (including some dive shop owners) who buy products from us (LP), have the items shipped to a friend in the US who then mules everything down. $50-75 for a checked bag is much less expensive and reliable than shipping there apparently. Quantities can't be too great and packaging must be removed, otherwise it looks like it's for sale.

I have a lot of friends in Mexico (including some dive shop owners) who buy products from us (LP), have the items shipped to a friend in the US who then mules everything down. $50-75 for a checked bag is much less expensive and reliable than shipping there apparently. Quantities can't be too great and packaging must be removed, otherwise it looks like it's for sale.

Doesn't LP do the same thing from Europe?

Not that I'm aware of, aside from manufacturers who are located in Europe. That was a popular belief in terms of how we carried Scubapro (one I know nothing about since I don't have anything to do with our product procurement beyond the occasional product recommendation), but we've been authorized Scubapro dealers for well over a year.

The four most expensive parts of my gear (PDC, reg set, BCD and wetsuit) I bought on-line in the US. Fortunatelly I had to travel to the US for work and managed to buy on-line and ship the goods to the hotel where I was hosted.
Scuba gear here in Argentina is pretty expensive. Small items are more or less a little bit expensiver than in the US (fins, mask, snorkel, etc) but main items like reg set, PDC, BCD and wetsuit are 2 to 3 times expensiver here than in the US. Besides, the variety is pretty small, only a few models of each brand and a few brands are available. Buying on-line is a challenge and a risk. Size and fit is everything in wetsuit and BCD. I took the risk and was fortunate as the gear fitted well. I'm a mid sized man with a "standard" body, so I could find the size of the gear that fits me.

I've found some gear to be cheaper here in Italy once the VAT is removed, especially APEKs and Halycon.

Here in the UK, I buy local and imported brands from either UK, US or EU based websites... find the cheapest/reputable dealer and off u go.. LDS are finding it difficult with internet outlets unless they go the same way.. I think its hard for them..

I've got Scubapro/Halycon/ForceFins//UKLights from the US and an othree suit/Apeks regs... I think my Halycon Evolve 40 (wing only) was £400 here which is $620 ish.. is that expensive? i think it might be.... but unless i'm going to the US i can't risk shipping something over and it being defective.. even if I get small savings after I've paid for shipping... ( import tax is random in its application:wink:...

I bought the Force Fins direct because they had an offer ( free WW shipping) and the Uk lights were a holiday purchase..

These are good UK shop sites if you want to see prices...

Diving Equipment at Cheap Prices, Free Delivery - Aquanauts
DirDirect :: ALL HALCYON KIT :: Halcyon Wings and Wing Systems :: Halcyon Evolve & Explorer Wings - Twin Sets

There are plenty of good non US brands to choose from.. so its not an issue... Apeks, Mares, Cressi and we have numerous drysuit manufacturers,,, which is not a remote purchase... you have to try them on... so plenty of choice here...

John

Because of personal reasons i haven't bought much at all from my LDS, that is until last year. More or less everything was from the net. But since about a year ago i have bought more or less exclusively from my LDS. I have only one purchase that was not made from my LDS last year and that was an Aqualung Legend reg, but i bought it after speaking to them, and they were honest enough to recommend it over buying from them. The price was so low that they could not even come close to matching it.

Even though it is a little bit more expensive i do prefer buying from the LDS simply because that i know that i can come to them whenever i do have problems or need any of their help. I am really happy that i have gotten that kind of contact with them.

Then again, i do like to fill my air from online stores :wink:

Online from Spain, Germany or the US. The only things I have bought locally, due to very hgh prices, are lead, boots, gloves and O ring grease, oh I did buy some Gorillas and some Taiwanses Jets that I promptly returned.

In HK and Singapore, on many items it is cheaper to order from LeisurePro and pay the shipping than it is to buy locally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom