If you were going to do 1 boat dive, Klein sites or East Side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PStrangerX

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the shore dive site suggestions - I made a great list based on what everyone here said.

We think we will do 1 day of boat diving. I know some folks here suggested using East Side Divers and checking out Turtle City/White Hole and those sounded awesome to me.

My wife read about the sites around Klein Island or up north that appealed to her. Anyone have any opinions to help us decide which side we should do? (Other than always do what keeps the wife happy :p)

I would do Rappel first then a 2nd dive (on a two-tank trip) to a Klein site. We did that with Toucan Dive based at the Plaza. Divers on our boat asked for Rappel - they were right.

Probably Forest for the black coral plus it's considered one of the best of the Klein dives.

Unless the wife wants to see the turtles at Jerry's Reef - assuming they still live there. We didn't see any sharks but there's a few blacktips living there also. Ebo's Reef nearby is similar. The turtles we saw were shallow under the coral between the mooring and Klein. They hide pretty well until you spot one then you notice 1/2 dozen more nearby.

I have no east side dive experience to compare.

I also saw a boat at 1000Steps once - it's along walk up those 64 stone steps with gear after the dive. My shop mgr. says he dives the Hooker from a boat as they drop you between the reefs first then you swim into the wreck. Also the Hooker looks to have one of the rougher shore entries in that area.

Don't do Salt Pier from a boat, it's an easy wade in from shore and the farthest pier isn't very deep.. The closer ones have more life in the sunlight anyway.

We also wasted a boat dive at Weber's Joy when we parked there later in the week for a shore dive.

The sites on Klein are much like those on the west side of the main island. The east side, on the other hand is much different, with walls, drift diving and plenty of larger animals. I would do the east side for sure. It will keep both you and the wife happy. Not aware of any operators who routinely go north since Buddy Dive stopped a number of years ago.

Not aware of any operators who routinely go north since Buddy Dive stopped a number of years ago.
Buudy Dive is going back there again; we went in October. It is a special trip, with food and special service, and a special price. But worth it, and fun. I think maybe just one day per week.

East side 100%. It is different diving than the shore diving you'll do on the leeward side.

Klein sites are different than the typical shore diving sites on the west side of Bonaire. There is much more coral, more fish and different species to be found, As suggested earlier, Forest and Rappel are some of the best(not necessarily Klein) boat dives.
However, the east side is spectacular. We saw 50 or more turtles at Turtle City-amazing dive. However, be fore warned that the waves are BIG and boat reentry is challenging. The rewards are there if you are capable of re=entry on a ladder jumping 6-8' with the bouncing boat.
There are several good boat dives in the far north if you can find an operator to take you. Several times we have gotten a group together and rented Minnow's boat(Good Dive) and gone far north. Again, the coral is beautiful and species are different. But, it is expensive, a long ride and the dive is deeper.
I would advise the east side if capable and confident.
Vann

I think that the difficulty of boat entry on the east side is being overstated. They use a RIB boat with a segment of the gunnel that actually deflates so you can get to the deck of the boat directly at sea level. if you have any difficulty with the ladder, the DM will pull you in. Very easy.

For me, the only challenge is to be able to do your safety stop in open water while drifting

East side dives were great with great people! I have not dove Klein for transparency. Rappel, can someone explain that?

Rappel, can someone explain that?
?? It is a dive site. What do you want explained?

Klein is basically the same but was shadowed during the big waves, gets less traffic so is in better shape.
East side is very different.

Back
Top Bottom