If you don't have cave training.........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, thanks for posting your experience. That took a lot of courage on your part. As you know, you are lucky to have survived. Hopefully, reading about your experience will stop others from trying the same thing and not being so lucky.

If you haven't, buy a lottery ticket!! You are extremely lucky, as others have said. Unfortunately, you are not alone. Recently, entering a cave, we came across 3 guys sitting on the bottom inside the cavern, with no lights at all, no line, no nothing. It's pretty freaky when you see that and know that they could be in trouble FAST. Especially, with the BIG SIGNS that you mentioned.

Good that things worked out for you. I hope you never forget the experience.

Well, after a couple days been good and taking the GF to dinners and stuff, I think she is now ready to let me dive again. I am not planning to quit but I am planning to take a cave diving course as soon as I am back home (Van. BC).

I have now learned a valuable lesson...........and a scary one I should add!

Just for the record, what system was this that you were at?..
And mate, you are damn lucky. And I agree with TSandman... I have an "agreement" as I call it, with the cave... I respect the cave, the cave respects me. I know she's there, and she knows I'm there. And as long as I never become complacent with her.. She will take care of me.

-Tony

Wow....thanks for sharing this story....we are glad you are alive and able to tell about this experience!!!

I have an "agreement" as I call it, with the cave... I respect the cave, the cave respects me. I know she's there, and she knows I'm there. And as long as I never become complacent with her.. She will take care of me.

I think the cave hates me and is trying to kill me, and I need to not let it do that, but it is always watching...

Clearly, however, it was looking the other way while you were bouncing around the ceiling of the cave, you're lucky it didn't notice the easy pickins...

You are not alone, I-want-gills. I, too, have penetrated a cave without being trained for it and with a certified cave diver. It was a couple of years ago at Ginnie Springs, Florida. We went in about 30 ft for a couple of minutes and then turned around and went out. Nothing unexpected happen as in your case, but plenty could have.

I learned many things from that. 1) I was very lucky. 2) Cave diving is extremely dangerous. 3) Even if I had the training, I wouldn't do it again.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Your sharing has influenced hundreds of divers into thinking twice about trying something we're not completely trained for.

but I am planning to take a cave diving course as soon as I am back home (Van. BC).

I have now learned a valuable lesson...........and a scary one I should add!

that's my worst nightmare and the reason I won't dive caves...or even go into caves on land. Give me the sunshine any day. Cave divers are a different breed for sure. I'd rather go 80 meters on a single 80 air, solo, than go into a small hole under water, even with the most experienced cave diver.

You are the lucky exception to the rule.. don't dive beyond your license, it will go wrong.

Wow, so great you survived. Short story. Very compelling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom