If you dive alone, you die alone ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get it. I'm an early riser ... my weekday normally begins at 3:30 in the morning. So on week-ends, when I don't need to get up early, my body clock won't let me sleep in. Sometimes I'll wander down to my local mudhole ... 5 minutes from my home ... and jump in the water by around 4:30. It's still dark. There isn't another human being in sight. No other cars in the parking lot. I have the whole place to myself. It's the ultimate in peaceful. I've had some amazing dives that way ... just me and the critters. Sometimes by the time I'm done with my dive and packing my gear in the car another diver or two will show up. They're used to me by now ... all they ask is "how's the vis" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob,

Ever see the phosphorescence? Usually diving in the dark in Puget Sound can be really nice. I did that once, long ago, on a buddy dive. We dove with regular flashlights (they sometimes work), and saw a small dogfish shark just before the light went out. Then we had some phosphorescence as we made our way back to shore (1970s).

I dive almost exclusively solo, and if I had not done that, would have given up diving years ago. I dive locally too, in local water (the Clackamas River, in my case). I very much enjoy seeing the aquatic life, and simply being weightless. I have been diving since 1959, and so am very comfortable diving alone. You can see one of my dives here:

(A GoPro camera was my Christmas present a few years ago, so I can share my dives.)

If I were to go aboard one of those boats, and some divemaster challenged me about diving solo, I would probably respond with asking whether he (usually, I suppose it is a "he") has ever made a parascuba jump out of a HC-130 aircraft on an Apollo capsule? If he says he has not, then he has no reason to lecture me about diving alone. Parascuba jumps, and subsequent diving as an USAF Pararescueman, are basically solo dives. We were taught to be self-sufficient in the water (actually, in any environment on earth). I could have some fun with that.

I will be turning 71 years old in a few weeks, and probably have another decade of solo diving to go, at least. I test old diving gear (see the video), new underwater swimming techniques, etc., and would not take kindly to someone lecturing me on diving.

SeaRat

Bob,

Ever see the phosphorescence? Usually diving in the dark in Puget Sound can be really nice. I did that once, long ago, on a buddy dive. We dove with regular flashlights (they sometimes work), and saw a small dogfish shark just before the light went out. Then we had some phosphorescence as we made our way back to shore (1970s).

One of the coolest experiences I had as a pretty new diver was when a couple friends took me out on a night dive. They told me that on our safety stop we were going to settle down in the eel grass and turn off all our lights ... but they wouldn't tell me why. So at the end of the dive we found a spot, got down on the bottom (yeah, I know), turned off our lights and just stayed still for a while. We were treated to phosphorescent "trails" created by dogfish hunting for tubesnouts in the eel grass bed. We watched for several minutes. As long as we didn't move, they didn't seem to mind us being there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We took a "new" guy night diving once about 100 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. May have been his first night dive.

We had a team of three and we put him in the middle and the rule was no lights until we hit the bottom in 110 feet. We were descending down the anchor line, I went first, new guy second and a third guy behind to watch him. I would just snap the anchor line every few seconds and it would light up like a laser beam.. all the way to the bottom,

He thought we were kidding or crazy, but afterwards he said it was pretty cool.

I've dived solo most of my 54 years on SCUBA. Initially it was because we only had one kit to share. Later it was because no competent buddy was available because the ones I know are dive professionals and weren't available when I wanted to dive. I've done many night dives solo and a few years ago was diving to 200 fsw solo (not having a buddy who I'd feel comfortable taking to that depth).

I do buddy up when diving new sites, traveling internationally, on a dive boat that requires a buddy or when my son or other favorite buddies are available.

My take on the whole buddy thing is that it parallels the dating pool. That is, the best ones are already paired up. My experience in showing up without a buddy on a dive boat and attempting to be matched with one, has been disappointing. I typically get matched with very recently certified divers (less than 10 dives) who could or would assist little if I needed help, or more experienced divers who are negligent of, or downright resentful, at being paired with a stranger.

In the case of the inexperienced buddy, not only can I expect less assistance if I need it, but the chances are greater that he or she will need my assistance. That means that been a conscientious buddy with them involves assuming a liability that I would not if I dove solo.

In short, unless you have a good, conscientious buddy, you are better off diving alone. The presence or absence of certifications is largely immaterial.

I haven't read all, but I do solodiving and I like it. It is not for everybody, but I hate people telling that it is dangerous or so.
Yes I do cavedives solo too sometimes. No problem.
Data about dive accidents don't show t hat diving with a buddy is safer.
Here a nice talk about solodiving:

Hell, grow up. Everyone , under any circumstances, everytime, dies alone. ain't no one going to come along to take your hand and guide you - or take your place. When it's time, suck it up and go with the flow.

Believe it or not I've been approached by self appointed scuba police here in RI admonishing me on the way in the water for being alone! I just give'em a chuckle and wish'em a nice day.

Just out of curiosity, where was that? I am in RI too. Though I normally dive with a buddy, I am starting to gear up for solo diving since I have such a hard time finding buddies in the colder weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom