If you dive alone, you die alone ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, me too. I watched my mom languish in a bed for 30 months before she passed away, and my most fervent wish is to not go out like that. But if I'm going to go out on scuba gear I hope to postpone it until I'm well into my 80's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Maybe save freediving in a seal rookery in Northern California until then!

Maybe save freediving in a seal rookery in Northern California until then!

... I'd say that's only slightly less risky than rollerblading on I-5 at 1 am on January 1st ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

yeah I watched my parents both struggle with cancer , compared to a violent quick death in combat ...that's the way id like to go but my days of running and gunning are behind me (unless civil strife hits )

I wondered whether people worry much about diving around the rookery areas. On a recent California trip, I joined 2 other divers on a fairly short night dive in the area of the rookery off Santa Barbara Island, and kept trying to keep the musical score from Jaws from playing in my head. Not sure if great whites hunt at night much, but they were on my mind...

Solo or not, I wonder how many regions of the world many people wouldn't dive out of a realistic fear of risk of attack by something. People dive Tiger Beach and with Oceanic White-tips off Cat Island in the Bahamas!

Richard.

I wondered whether people worry much about diving around the rookery areas. On a recent California trip, I joined 2 other divers on a fairly short night dive in the area of the rookery off Santa Barbara Island, and kept trying to keep the musical score from Jaws from playing in my head. Not sure if great whites hunt at night much, but they were on my mind...

Solo or not, I wonder how many regions of the world many people wouldn't dive out of a realistic fear of risk of attack by something. People dive Tiger Beach and with Oceanic White-tips off Cat Island in the Bahamas!

Richard.

I would as soon avoid oceanic white tips.

What is with the morbidity? I am all for going with my boots (flippers) on but I would as soon it not be in the jaws of an oceanic, just saying. I would as soon exhaust myself against a current and slip gently beneath the waves or go down flaming in dog fight with a F16, me in a Super Cub, :).

N

Last edited:
Free and weightless in the ocean is a great experience. That nature surrounds us is just part of that experience.

...//... It's horse manure ... people don't die from diving alone. They die from poor planning, bad decisions, inadequate preparation, or simply not having the chops they think they have when something unexpected happens and they suddenly find out they're not equipped to deal with it. ...//...
Touching on the OP’s OP:

I dive alone. I like it that way. I crave it. The wife freaked out the first time I dove a New Jersey back bay at 2 AM. I reassured her that there were just as many divers looking out for me then as there are on a sunny Saturday afternoon at Dutch springs. She doesn’t get it. Most people don’t. Now, I do it regularly, exclusively. Meticulous. There is no imagined “buddy” to cover an oversight or prop me up. There is beauty in that. Get it right for you alone or don’t even show up.

My son and I used to dive Willow Springs in the winter. Gate slams shut and locks. Who you gonna call? There should be a card for that. See pic. :wink:

Willow.jpg

Depends, two muppets do not make a Rhodes scholar. I would have to consider the diver before I could decide if it was a benefit.

I just set up a private OW course for a bunch of friends. One newbie was asking questions to a more experienced diver. The experienced diver's answer was basically, "Don't worry about that, the DM will configure your gear and put everything together for you at the dive site."

WHAT???!!!!

I immediately made a mental note to not dive with that guy, and to correct that horrible guidance he had given the newbie. Sure that guy has the right to dive how he wants to, but should not be poisoning others with irresponsible and dangerous instruction.

Touching on the OP’s OP:

I dive alone. I like it that way. I crave it. The wife freaked out the first time I dove a New Jersey back bay at 2 AM. I reassured her that there were just as many divers looking out for me then as there are on a sunny Saturday afternoon at Dutch springs. She doesn’t get it. Most people don’t. Now, I do it regularly, exclusively. Meticulous. There is no imagined “buddy” to cover an oversight or prop me up. There is beauty in that. Get it right for you alone or don’t even show up.

My son and I used to dive Willow Springs in the winter. Gate slams shut and locks. Who you gonna call? There should be a card for that. See pic. :wink:

View attachment 382952
I can relate to that. I love swimming in the ocean alone. Every since I was a kid I heard "don't swim alone" and my answer to that was SPLASH. My parents gave up telling me that. I have to admit I loved buddy diving--with my ex who was my buddy, my lover, my best friend. But now I'm trying to wrap my head around whether solo diving could work for me, because when an insta-buddy swims off yards up current on a west palm drift dive, I realize I am solo diving, call it what you will.

Touching on the OP’s OP:

View attachment 382952

I get it. I'm an early riser ... my weekday normally begins at 3:30 in the morning. So on week-ends, when I don't need to get up early, my body clock won't let me sleep in. Sometimes I'll wander down to my local mudhole ... 5 minutes from my home ... and jump in the water by around 4:30. It's still dark. There isn't another human being in sight. No other cars in the parking lot. I have the whole place to myself. It's the ultimate in peaceful. I've had some amazing dives that way ... just me and the critters. Sometimes by the time I'm done with my dive and packing my gear in the car another diver or two will show up. They're used to me by now ... all they ask is "how's the vis" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom