If you could only dive one place -- anywhere in the world -- for the rest of your life...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plenty of space available Chilly :D

Just let me know when you win the lottery, I'll be there! If I win, will let you know in return!

Well, the original question did say "for the rest of your life".

:rofl3:

Well in fact Bikini Atoll is dived frequently and the LOB that goes there has an onboard chamber as it's mainly deep diving from what I understand.

is bikini still too radioactive?

Depends who you ask. From the Wikipedia article:
"A 2012 assessment from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory found that caesium-137 levels are dropping considerably faster than anyone expected. Terry Hamilton, scientific director of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory’s Marshall Islands Dose Assessment and Radioecology Program, reported that "Conditions have really changed on Bikini. They are improving at an accelerated rate. By using the combined option of removing soil and adding potassium, we can get very close to the 15 millirem standard. That has been true for roughly the past 10 years. So now is the time when the Bikinians, if they desired, could go back."

The same article also indicated that the lagoon has been open to diving for quite a while now.

Torn between Big Island and Oahu though leaning a bit to the former. Would love to move to either island. Dive in the morning. Work. Dive again at night. Plenty of other things to do outside of diving as well.

I could live on The Big Island or possibly Maui. Close enough to the mainland that I can find real land within a flights reach. I need a mountain in sight every now and then and I might need to see an Elk from time to time as well. While I have enjoyed every place I have been outside of the US I like toilets yes toilets ive stayed in places without them, great times but I have to place toilets right up there with costco and Home Depot. Cant imagine a life without access to food lumber and hardware. OK I can but im talking reality. I own two auto shops and have been fixing cars since I was very young. If it was a fantasy type of place your talking about then id want to live someplace with out CARS that allowed me to dive a lot with good food and well of course TOILETS. I think that place does not exist. But I find myself easily bored that may be a divers drive. Were bored with land even though theres lots of cool and different land. Seems like every time I travel for two weeks by the end of the trip the reefs all start looking the same. Not that im tired of them but I ask myself would I be bored here in 6 months if I live here.

I love sharks, so I would have to say the Bahamas.

From the Reef & Nurse sharks found pretty much all over, to the Oceanic White Tips at Cat Island, the Great Hammerheads of Bimini and of course Tiger Beach, the Bahamas has a lot to offer if you are looking for sharks.

Now, if only the Lionfish would just disappear and the reefs would become like they were 20 years ago ...

Back
Top Bottom