If Money Were No Object...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a lot of things, there's a law of diminishing returns . . . a little money buys you a thing, some more buys you a better thing, and then a whole LOT more buys you a little better thing . . . But one place where you can throw money at something and come out WAY ahead is in computers. The Liquivision X1 is a whole different animal from anything else out there. The display is fabulous, and the flexibility and customizability of the computer's functions is unparalleled. The only bad thing about the X1 is how expensive it is -- so if price is truly not an issue, it becomes an extremely attractive choice.

A place where more money makes a big difference also is in lights. If you dive in Norway and the Med, you probably have dives where having a good, bright, focused light would add safety and enjoyment to your dive. Canister lights with Goodman handles are head and shoulders above anything hand-held. They have very nice LED ones now, although I'm still using the HID technology. Such lights will run anywhere from $500 to $1500, depending on brightness and battery size.

Spending good money on drysuit undergarments pays off, too. The top of the line DUI, Santi and Whites undergarments really are worth the money.

Most of the rest of my gear was middle of the road for price. I dive a Fusion dry suit, have Deep Sea Supply and Deep Outdoors wings, and Scubapro Jet fins. My mask was middle-priced, and my singles reg is a Titan LX, which is middle-priced and with which I have been entirely happy.

There is no neutral testing agency, such as Consumers Union, for dive gear. As has been pointed out by others, what is good, better or best is all in the eye of the beholder. Sure, there are variations on the regulator theme or BCD theme or computer theme, but basically they all do the jobs for which they were designed. My wife and I spent as little money as possible. Now, that doesn't mean we bought cheap stuff. Rather, we negotiated two packages from our LDS at about 33% off list. The packages were comprised of reasonable items from different manufacturers. We did not look at air-integrated computers. We did not look at regulators that could handle ice diving. We did not look at BPW arrangements. We were not interested in bells and whistles--just KISS formulations. It's been in use 5 yrs with only minor changes. My wife and I have each bought new fins; she because she needed a smaller size; me because of a color issue (I like the tomato red Mares superchannels, I admit it, and I got them for 60% off). We've been fortunate to test our gear under a variety of conditions and wouldn't change it. Advice: get what you like and what suits you. Enjoy diving and don't fret over the equipment.

well, if you are looking for an expensive regulator, check this out: US DIVERS GOLDEN ROYAL AQUA-MASTER DBL HOSE REGULATOR item# 250556531186 the seller is asking $ 3000 U.S or best offer...it really is Gold-Plated !!!

I have been AOW qualified for nearly 15 years. That is also how long it has been since I purchased equipment. I dive a couple weeks per year in the Red Sea, and a little bit in the Med, and a little bit in Norway. This spring, I plan to take the Enriched Air course and I thought that it was about time to upgrade my gear. If money were no object, what would you recommend? What is the best of the best? Thanks.

Best of the best without monetary constraints would be a dream come true. Unfortunately you can spend a ton of money on kit you wouldn't use for you type of diving. It just so happens that I work at a shop that carries several different brands of gear including tech, so from looking at the quality of the gear and actually working on different Regs and BC's I can give you an idea of what may be expensive and last a long time.

My choice for BC's is the Probe, I've got one and love it for Recreational diving. It has large pockets, a durable skin and several mounting points for gear. DO Not get the integrated inflator / air source from Oceanic. It's not a durable unit.

Second choice would be a Trans pac from Dive Rite. Infinitely adjustable with regards to configuration and add on gear. You can do almost anything with it. It's a back inflate with a separate air cell of your choosing. Very comfortable due to it's ability to be tailored to fit the shape and size of the diver perfectly.

Favorite reg would be the Oceanic Delta 4.1/FDX10 combo. Rugged reliability, super light and the IP locks up tight every time. The cracking effort is adjustable and it breathes wonderfully. NOAA chose the prior Delta 4 with the same 1st stage as their accepted reg so it's good enough for us mere mortals. It's a simple regulator that can be adjusted and cleaned while on a boat should there be an issue of fouling or debris inside the reg.

I'd reccomend an Alpha 8 octo to go with it. I regularly use them for duty on stages so I trust them. I can even disassemble them underwater and clean them of debris easily due to their simple construction.

Another solid performing reg would be the XTX200 from Apex, minimal inhalation effort and great performer, but it doesn't have the bullet proof swivel that eases fatigue like the Oceanic does. The Second stage is very complicated and can't be serviced on a boat if you have a problem. Still a great reg that is Reliable.

Fins: personal choice there, I like a stiff fin like the Hollis because I frog kick mostly. The Atomic Split fins have a nice following and are easy on the knees.

Suits: I like the durability of a Bare HDTech drysuit. For a Wet suit, the newer Aqualung's are really nice, not sure about the durability yet but the stitching is well done. The newer Pinnacles are very nice as well, they seem to hold up very well.

Mask: Personal thing again. I liked the Atomic Frameless mask, but since the new Oceanic Shadow came out, I'm a believer. Soft, Comfy, low profile, wide vision and a built in slap strap. Hard to beat.

Computer. You can spend thousands on a computer that will do more than you need. I use a D9 with transmitter for recreational diving, but the Vytec is much easier to read and operate. The algorithm is very conservative and can be adjusted to suit your needs. Very Reliable, with sound engineering.

Ok. I had a feeling about how this would go as soon as I posted it.

What I was trying to get at was that most people I talk to or dive with end up with the gear they have primarily because it fits within their budget, not because it was the absolute best gear for what they need. Or, if I talk to my two small, local dive shops they just tell me about the few choices they have for sale, not what is the best of everything available for what I need. Of course there is a limit to how much money I would spend, but if I wasn't worried about that last $100 or $500 or $1000 what could I get?

What I was hoping for was for people's opinions about what is great gear that would work with what I had originally posted. What would you buy if you didn't have a strict budget.

The bottom line is that much more precious than money is time, and what I am trying to avoid as much of the time consuming experimentation process as possible.

Try stuff out, talk to buddies.

Ok. My list:

- BCD, I have several but really like my recent add of a OMS BP/w
- Reg: I recently added a scubapro MK25T/600T, also have the non-titanium for high O2% dives
- Fins: I have too many but recently went with an oldie but goodie in the ScubaPro Jetfins
- WetSuites, have to many already including 3mm, 5mm, Mares 6.5 semi Dry and a DUI TLS350 Nice for cold water
- Computers: Uwetec Sol and Suunto D9
All the above would suggest a gear junkie with a hole in his pocket. So think and try before buy.

I have not learned so stuff to add:
- Will add a Luidivision X1 soon. I like what i saw this weekend doing a Tech course.
- Rebreather: Oh! maybe a Buddy Inspiration if i get serious with deep stuff....not sure i will.
- Dry Suite: Dui's Tropical 30/30 to be added soon.

As money is no object in this thread:
- A personal dive boat with captain and crew to be on location when i arrive
- A G5 to get me to the boat of course.
- A villa in the Seychelles and Bali for weekend excapes
- A lady waiting for me in every port...but Tiger has taught me that is a very expensive option.

I hope i ansered your original query. Good luck.

Ok. My list:

As money is no object in this thread:
- A personal dive boat with captain and crew to be on location when i arrive
- A G5 to get me to the boat of course.
- A villa in the Seychelles and Bali for weekend excapes
- A lady waiting for me in every port...but Tiger has taught me that is a very expensive option.

I hope i ansered your original query. Good luck.

Now your talking! :D Crazy Tiger, first he's the good influence and now he's the bad influence, man what a ride!

Regs: Scuba Pro MK17/S700 with an OMS pressure gauge

Computer: Mares Icon HD Nitrox Dive Computer

BCD: Zeagle Express Tech

Mask and fins: too many to choose from but they gotta fit right.

It's not just the money, it's what you like and feel comfortable with.

Depends on the diving.

For me I needed to go CC so went that route and am really happy with it, a few holidays a year might not justify that. Need more info.

For sure would not go with the X1 as most of the above posters like, shearwater predetor blows it out of the water. Never have to worry about sending it back for a new battery or softwear upgrade you do it yourself. And it's been around forever as a computer now with the predetor screen the X1 doesn't have a chance.

One thing I really love that I never thought I'd spend money on is a scooter. I have two X-scooters the cuda and a serria and they are a hoot! If you ever get the chance try one out.

Best of luck in your searches.

You like Nitrox diving. Here goes.....

Scubapro MK25 Nitrox & S555 Nitrox
Scubapro KnightHawk BCD
Scubapro Seawing Nova Fins
Fabar steel 12liter cyclinder with Scubapro valve (or buy 10 litre twins for tech setup.Twins will fit KnightHawk)
Drysuite, not expert here sorry
Technisub mask
VR3 Dive Computer (or 2, one as backup)
6 liter ali tank to sling travel or deco gas

My dream OW AOW setup diving nitrox.

If money was no object, I'd be diving the same gear I have now, specifically Zeagle Flathead VI (or 7 if I was buying new) regs for my doubles, Zeagle DSV's for stages. White's Fusion drysuit, doubles, BP/W of appropriate lift, OMS fins etc. What I would do with unlimited funds, is add some "toys" like a Shearwater Predator computer, a scooter, maybe a rebreather, and the two big ticket items...Dive trips and a ton more training!!

I have been AOW qualified for nearly 15 years. That is also how long it has been since I purchased equipment. I dive a couple weeks per year in the Red Sea, and a little bit in the Med, and a little bit in Norway. This spring, I plan to take the Enriched Air course and I thought that it was about time to upgrade my gear. If money were no object, what would you recommend? What is the best of the best? Thanks.

Well, while I should be budget constrained, I am not when it comes to dive gear.

Reg: Apex tx200 (have two)

BP/W..Am surpised by this, but I really like the Hollis Wing.. but the other parts are from 5 different mfg...

Fins: Apollo (if dry suit diving). Tusa splits if snorkling and Mares if just wetsuit diving.

Mask: Mares liquid skin

Drysuit: Pinnacle

Back
Top Bottom