If in between sizes, size up or down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am conflicted. I've already tried on the suits, and will try them on some more. Yet, I have L and M/L for a Henderson Microprene2 suit. I would say that both fit fairly okay, and the only difference that I noticed so far was that for the M/L, I had to draw my shoulder blades together to the back zipped up. Didn't have to do that at all with the L. Maybe the L had a little more length to the leg that would cover my boot zipper a tad more. Will have to check that out when trying them on again.

Now, I also have a L Henderson Aqualok 7mm suit. I had done the same thing for that purchase, and I went with the L. I won't say that it is now too big. Yet, I feel like after breaking it in and now when getting out of the water, that the legs, crotch, and waist areas are saggy? Maybe that's the wrong way of describing it, but many times the ankle zippers have come partially unzipped. Maybe that's normal. I'm not entirely sure what is correct/comfortable vs. what should be absolutely form fitting.

Should I size up or down?

As long as your movements are not constricted, I would go smaller. In my experience, I get a little more room once I get in the water. "Tight" might also be relative to your other experiences with wetsuits.

Snug is better than roomy... The less water moving around the warmer you'll be.. and a little bit less lead to boot..

Jim...

The back zip is normally a little tight. It is expected that you will need to rotate your shoulders back. This releases tension on the zipper to allow a zip up.

The import test for the chest is to confirm that you can breathe easily and comfortably, rather than having to releive tension on the zipper when suiting up.

Agree with others snug, not to the point of constriction, is better. My wetsuit can be a PIA to get on especially if I'm sweating but once on and in the water it's fine. It should be somewhat difficult to get on.

Based on what you said, go to the smaller size. It sounds like the smaller one fits. Also, something to note that I have noticed with my suits is that after a few dives, they compress a bit and are a little stretchier than before. So long as smaller is not uncomfortable, it will essentially keep you warmer in the long run if there is less water swooshing around so go with that.

+1 with what Buddha said: snug is good as long as not constricted (and yes, should be some challenge to getting in to it).

You and all buyers of their first wet suit will consider the wet suit as being tight
The tighter the better- it restricts water flow and provides insulation from cold water

IF you purchase a second wet suit you will demand an even tighter wet suit

AND IF you are still in diving for the third wet suit you will demands it be custom made suit or if off the shelf an even tighter than the first two wet suits
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you tried Dano's Mako wet suits ? They sure look good to me

SDM

I am conflicted. I've already tried on the suits, and will try them on some more. Yet, I have L and M/L for a Henderson Microprene2 suit. I would say that both fit fairly okay, and the only difference that I noticed so far was that for the M/L, I had to draw my shoulder blades together to the back zipped up. Didn't have to do that at all with the L. Maybe the L had a little more length to the leg that would cover my boot zipper a tad more. Will have to check that out when trying them on again.

Now, I also have a L Henderson Aqualok 7mm suit. I had done the same thing for that purchase, and I went with the L. I won't say that it is now too big. Yet, I feel like after breaking it in and now when getting out of the water, that the legs, crotch, and waist areas are saggy? Maybe that's the wrong way of describing it, but many times the ankle zippers have come partially unzipped. Maybe that's normal. I'm not entirely sure what is correct/comfortable vs. what should be absolutely form fitting.

Should I size up or down?

As others have said-size down.

I dive a skin two suit, hood attached no zips, custom.

My upper body is usually dry after a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom