If I use an integrated inflator/octo, should my primary 2nd stage be yellow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the first time I have ever heard this concern being raised; namely that the victim will after snatching your regulator, take control of your inflator as well. What basis do you have for raising this concern?

He’s a troll.

This peculiar incident was relayed to me by a Divemaster with 20-years of experience. He reverted back to the original recreational configuration. I personally never liked the system when I first saw it, and his account is worth mentioning. It’s is your responsibility to determine whether to accept information about circumstances that exist or events that have occurred in the past.

The burden of proof lies with the accuser.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about the color of your regulator. My anticipation has to do with your choice of breathing apparatus. In a world of wacky hypotheticals, you do realize that your primary regulator is going to be snatched from you at the worst possible moment, and the diver in distress is going to prevent you from reaching your octo/inflator. Why? You ask. It’s because he’s wants to inflate your BCD to get to the surface. Another potentially fatal scenario: you forget to connect inflator hose or it pops off while underwater. Don’t set up your configuration for the sake of others unless you’re a fully qualified technical diver.
I went ahead with two conventional second stage regulators but if the guy is OOA why would he immediately want to inflate my BCD? The immediate concern is breathing.

Edit: Maybe a possibility is that if someone OOA frantically grabs your integrated inflator/regulator, they might also press the inflate button accidentally or otherwise.

This peculiar incident was relayed to me by a Divemaster with 20-years of experience. He reverted back to the original recreational configuration. I personally never liked the system when I first saw it, and his account is worth mentioning. It’s is your responsibility to determine whether to accept information about circumstances that exist or events that have occurred in the past.

Burden of proof lies with whoever made the first claim to be a bit more correct.

Anyways, good dive planning that involves touching on alternate air source locations is more important than the color of your 2nd stage

I've not (yet) accused you of anything, just wondered where you came up with this story.

So it is second hand info from one individual- and this leads you to be convinced that the possibility of a panicked diver grabbing an air 2 while it is in another person's mouth (and operating the inflator button) is enough of a probability to cause concern. It sounds pretty ridiculous, maybe the DM was just yanking your hose?

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about the color of your regulator. My anticipation has to do with your choice of breathing apparatus. In a world of wacky hypotheticals, you do realize that your primary regulator is going to be snatched from you at the worst possible moment, and the diver in distress is going to prevent you from reaching your octo/inflator. Why? You ask. It’s because he’s wants to inflate your BCD to get to the surface. Another potentially fatal scenario: you forget to connect inflator hose or it pops off while underwater. Don’t set up your configuration for the sake of others unless you’re a fully qualified technical diver.
No offense, but that's a pile of BS. You are making up a scenario based on your assumption of what an out of air diver would do. Stop.

In my old days as a DM I was mugged for my regulator twice by OOA divers (one was a particularly bad DM trainee!) and I can tell you from experience that nothing like what you describe happened, or would be likely to happen. What I have seen happen is panicked divers just simply bolt for the surface. None of this 'reaching for a different diver's BC inflator' nonsense.

That way if someone needs air, they know my primary regulator is the one to use while I switch to my SS1 or whatever?

If you use an octo/inflator, the color of your primary 2nd stage hose doesn't matter, but the length does. You'll want a longer than typical hose to allow for comfortable air sharing. A 40" hose with a 90o elbow, routed under the right arm, is popular. I prefer a 60" hose routed around my head, similar to the 7ft long hose used by many technical divers. 60" is long enough for most divers to rout under the right arm, across the chest, and behind and around the head, without having to tuck the excess into something or manage the 7ft hose, which is used for single file air sharing in restricted passages.

Once you get used to the idea of a longer primary hose, which is more flexible and comfortable BTW, it's a short jump to using an alternate 2nd stage on a short hose (22" for most single tank divers) and under your chin with a bungee necklace. Then you can use the inflator separately and easily in all situations, and the back up is immediately below your chin; you can even reach the alternate 2nd stage without any hands if you practice it.

just wondered where you came up with this story.

So it is second hand info from one individual- and this leads you to be convinced that the possibility of a panicked diver grabbing an air 2 while it is in another person's mouth (and operating the inflator button) is enough of a probability to cause concern. It sounds pretty ridiculous, maybe the DM was just yanking your hose?
What if we're at 127' and they take my Atomic B2(TM) primary? Commandeer by Air2(TM) and fully inflate my HydroPro(TM) and won't give me back my Air2(TM), and then stip the weight pockets off my HydrosPro(TM) and drop them into the bottom of the Cayman Trench?!? And I have to pee, but don't want to contaminate my Bare Velocity(TM)wetsuit?!?

OMMOHY

I think you misunderstand this phrase. It actually means anyone who makes an assertion has the burden of proof. You asserted an OOG diver would go for your inflator; you need to prove that statement. Your appeal to "I heard it from someone" is hardly proof; you are just repeating a possible falsehood. That the person you heard it from had been a DM for 20 years is interesting but not compelling, since it is not unusual ofr a DM to just repeat stuff they heard and never question it.

I also think the color of the hose is not important, but it should be longer than normal short hose; as the common octo hose of 36", and you should discuss your hose configuration with your buddy prior to diving. You don't want to be in a situation where your buddy is looking for a non existent octo in an emergency scenario.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom