If I use an integrated inflator/octo, should my primary 2nd stage be yellow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vokain

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
That way if someone needs air, they know my primary regulator is the one to use while I switch to my SS1 or whatever?

When I took my tech classes and started diving with a long hose, it was explained to me that someone in an out of air situation will go for the first/easiest regulator they can get their hands on, so I dive with the long hose as my primary with the assumption that they will grab for that one first .

It is also probably better in that situation that they breathe from a regulator that is currently demonstrably working. They also are not going to politely signal they are out of air and wait for you to give them something - they are just going to take it.

In your case, you should assume your primary regulator will be used whatever color it is.

I have never had a yellow reg or hose, and never found it to be an issue. I use a 40" primary hose and bungeed backup, I show them the rig and then I explain to a new buddy the OOA procedure. It's always a good idea to talk with your buddy before a dive and sort out any issues that you might have.

An OOA diver will find and use any working reg available, and with bubbles coming out of the one in your mouth, it's easy to spot. Your job is to spot the problem and hand them your reg before they have take it out of your mouth. How politely they ask for it is a function of their training, experience, and how long they have been out of air.

I have never had a yellow reg or hose, and never found it to be an issue. I use a 40" primary hose and bungeed backup, I show them the rig and then I explain to a new buddy the OOA procedure. It's always a good idea to talk with your buddy before a dive and sort out any issues that you might have.

An OOA diver will find and use any working reg available, and with bubbles coming out of the one in your mouth, it's easy to spot. Your job is to spot the problem and hand them your reg before they have take it out of your mouth. How politely they ask for it is a function of their training, experience, and how long they have been out of air.
So assuming you are the person handing them your reg, would you give them your primary reg or backup reg?

There is no back up reg. You can use yellow if you like. I doubt anyone will care.
What do you mean? The person who replied said he has a bungeed backup. That’s what I’m referring to.

So assuming you are the person handing them your reg, would you give them your primary reg or backup reg?

My backup is bungeed around my neck and hangs just below my chin. I hand off my primary, and put the backup in my mouth.

When using this configuration, and yours, you must be comfortable with no reg in your mouth while handing off your primary. Normally it is a quick evolution, but you must be prepared for a delay.

That way if someone needs air, they know my primary regulator is the one to use while I switch to my SS1 or whatever?

As suggested above, it's best if you have the discussion with your dive buddy beforehand (rather than rely, during an incident, on the color of your IP hose). When I dive with my AIR 2, I don't worry about the color of either my AIR 2 IP hose or my (primary) 2nd stage IP hose.

(Besides, under low- or no-light conditions, your buddy might not be able to discern the color of an IP hose!)

rx7diver

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about the color of your regulator. My anticipation has to do with your choice of breathing apparatus. In a world of wacky hypotheticals, you do realize that your primary regulator is going to be snatched from you at the worst possible moment, and the diver in distress is going to prevent you from reaching your octo/inflator. Why? You ask. It’s because he’s wants to inflate your BCD to get to the surface. Another potentially fatal scenario: you forget to connect inflator hose or it pops off while underwater. Don’t set up your configuration for the sake of others unless you’re a fully qualified technical diver.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about the color of your regulator. My anticipation has to do with your choice of breathing apparatus. In a world of wacky hypotheticals, you do realize that your primary regulator is going to be snatched from you at the worst possible moment, and the diver in distress is going to prevent you from reaching your octo/inflator. Why? You ask. It’s because he’s wants to inflate your BCD to get to the surface. Another potentially fatal scenario: you forget to connect inflator hose or it pops off while underwater. Don’t set up your configuration for the sake of others unless you’re a fully qualified technical diver.

This is the first time I have ever heard this concern being raised; namely that the victim will after snatching your regulator, take control of your inflator as well. What basis do you have for raising this concern?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom