If I die while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnB and Jonesbf::Christ?? Who said anything about JC? See how many letters I used, Geniuses?

The phrase "at least he died doing what he liked" bothers me too. As far as I can tell, dying underwater is probably a panic-filled, terrifying, painful way to spend your last few mortal moments. I think diving is peaceful, I do not believe that dying underwater is peaceful in any way.

Once you realize you situation is grave, your perception will probably narrow from the panic and fear. Then, the CO2 buildup from holding your breath or improper breathing will sharpen the terror. Lastly, if you aspirate water, it will probably burn, sting and make you gag and cough violently. And then the end.

I prefer to focus on the positive and say "at least he lived the way he wanted to." To me, it's a world of difference and focuses on ways the deceased's life was enriched by scuba, sitting at the pub, crossing the street, or any other activity.

Just my literal 0 cents.

My younger brother drowned in a lake nearby when he was eight years old. They brought him back with the old fashioned recovery techniques used 55 years ago. He said it wasn't too bad from what he could remember. I think it did some damage to his brain though, considering how goofy he has been all his life. Then again maybe not.

I prefer to focus on the positive and say "at least he lived the way he wanted to." To me, it's a world of difference and focuses on ways the deceased's life was enriched by scuba, sitting at the pub, crossing the street, or any other activity.

Just my literal 0 cents.

I second that notion about "lived the way he wanted to." Once you're dead, it's too late for anything else, including sentiments this thread covers.

And if fate determines that I will die diving, I hope it's taking an O2 hit. My last thought should be without direct knowledge of it coming. But then again, without first hand knowledge, I'm guessing here.

Next?

If you want to post anything about my death just say that it's good that he died doing something he liked to do and leave it at that. Thank you for your undivided attention.:dork2::dork2::dork2:
Cool. can do. What puzzles me is the "died doing something he liked to do."

Please believe me when I say there is nothing in my life I enjoy more than cruising weightless, breating slowly (4 to 6 breaths per minute), paying attention to my buddy, my course, my gas, my time, the plan, etc. Should my death occur instantly at that point, I'd be grateful for the repreive.

But should something should go wrong down there and I couldn't share air with my buddy I might die. My death would not be doing what I enjoy. It would be experiencing the terror of lack of air, lack of buddies, lack of alternatives. I have experienced this terror and it is definitely not what I enjoy doing.

-Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom