If I die while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless I'm diving in Bonaire :)

My distaste for roadside memorials is such that my kids threaten me with them often. Of course, they've heard me tell stories from work about how I sometimes would really REALLY like to wash them down the street with a charged 3" hose line. On the other hand, the guys I work with and I have given serious thought to the idea of starting a roadside memorial business, complete with perpetual care so it always looks nice. We figure our access to that side of the crime scene tape would allow us to establish a memorial before the authorities have even left the scene. We'll even put up a webcam so you can look upon your memorial without leaving the comfort of your home, in case of inclement weather.

Garrobo, I'd like to agree with you, but as much as I love diving, it's not the only way for me to feel alive.

Oh, I HATE the roadside memorials, too. That's what cemetaries are for! Granted lots of them are for people who have happened on a place and accidently got smashed... but many are memorializing folks who were racing, drunk, etc.

Can you imagine - if the dang things catch on... You'll be enjoying some pristine piece of ocean and BLAM a bunch of shoes, plastic flowers and other crap will be tied onto a gorgeous piece of coral.

FireDiver 443: I agree. Didn't say it was the ONLY way to feel alive, just part of it. I also feel alive when I'm out on my property in the evenings, especially as the sun is dropping and the heat is going away, watching the deer, turkeys, rabbits and buzzards doing their thing.

oh, and if i should die while diving, another post i dont want people typing about me...... "she was the first to welcome me here on :sblogo:"

:rofl3: Oh but you were!!! (I just went and looked it up then... :D)

If I die while diving it will be a result of tempting the Sea, for she is the only entity in this pursuit who warrants true respect, and let me tell you folks... My death will be deep, it will be cold, it will be alone, and it will be retribution for a foolish act. I just hope that someone finds my corps for whatever it's worth, I wont be a floater. From this point on I will step lightly when the Sea is angry, and not tempt fate...

A few years back, when I had flown to Atlanta to see my family and then was headed off to the Carribean to dive, my 70+ yr old mother told me fretfully to "BE CAREFUL". Whereupon I reminded her that - God foribid - if something did happen to me while diving, at least I would die doing what I loved....

When I returned 10 days later, her first question was, "Now, your Daddy and I were discussing this and we need to know: you DO have that travel insurance that pays for your body to be shipped back, right? Because your Daddy and I are living on his pension and we just don't have the money for that sort of thing!

Ah, the joys of aging parents: never sentimental, but always thinking ahead - for the worst! :D

Trish

Now I lay me down to sleep
And dream of diveing in the deep.
If I die before I wake,
I have one small request to make.
Put all my gear by my side,
And tell folks on ScubaBoard I'm glad I've dived.

For C****'s sake don't post some inane remark like: "My thoughts and prayers go out to his family." I get so tired of reading this. I don't have a family and most of the people who I chum around with don't do that much praying anyway.
Why is it that people who don't do much praying use phrases like "For C****'s sake"? :eyebrow:

I'm with you for the rest of it, though. When people say "he died doing what he loved", doesn't that imply they loved drowning or loved suffering an embolism or loved having a heart attack underwater?

For C****'s sake don't post some inane remark like: "My thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

You'll be better off if when you die it's without the blasphemy...

If I die while diving, I do not want a condolences thread. I want every detail available of my last dive posted, and I want it chewed over, speculated upon, criticized, and otherwise discussed in any way that might generate food for thought or caution for any other diver. And if the discussion says I screwed up and caused my death, so be it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom