If given 2400 ,which will you choose?rx100 or epl5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PiggyRun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi,
previous post have gained alot ideas and suggestion,however now is the time to decide.
I m more concerned about wide angle and would like to grow with the camera, so it was tough for me to choose a rx100 or elp5 .
Pfffff.. If given 2400++, will you go for

a) rx100 +nauticam+h100 + inon dome
b) epl5 +pt-ep10+ oly 9-18mm +zen port

fyi, i m just an occasional diver and dive less than 20 per year but wish to get uw photos as a memory. I love snorkeling and spend lot of time beside beach.
the reason i m getting a dome due to wanted to shoot over-under split shot very much.

hardly to get a review on the split shot by these 2 cameras, but which set up do you think can fulfill what i looking for?
Thanks in advance:)

Last edited:
Common question and has come up before. Without a doubt the EPL5 and RX100 are both great cameras but they are in different classes. The EPL5 is going to give you fantastic choices of lenses for all situations on dryland and in the water. But that requires committing to specific shots when diving. Of course on land you can just swap lenses. On land you will have a camera that you will have to carry on your shoulder, the RX100 just slips in your pocket. They say the best camera is the one you have with you, soooo are you someone who likes to walk around with a camera around their neck??? The EPL5 is only as good as the lenses you put on it. Are you planing on buying a 100-300mm lens for sports/animals, 14-42mm for walking around, etc.....????

Underwater the RX is very good but not going to say it is on par with the EPL5, which many reviews are calling Oly's best camera ever. But the RX100 is perfect for those who want to shoot "everything" on one dive. Given it's acknowledged "weakness" is macro which can be overcome to a large degree with diopters. I own the H100 + Inon Dome and like it as really you are getting two lenses, but if you are trying to save money you may want to look at the Lenses & Filters :: Wide Angle Lenses :: Fix UWL-28 Wide Angle Lens -

You can shoot over/unders with the RX100 but the ideal set up is with the EPL5 and the Lumix8mm examples of both below. I think for you the real question is what camera is better for your dryland shooting...

RX100 Inon Dome, not a great shot but an example

RX100 Dome wide

Ok not a over/under but gives you an idea of the OMD/8mm Fisheye

Oly OMD/8mm, minor cropping

Thanks mjh for very wonderful points.
For epl5, 8mm fisheye is a must to come together with the 4.33" dome port? It will be about 1598 for 8mm and dome. How if 9-18mm + zen dome port? It is much cheaper and what I was thinking is fisheye lense might be boring if shooting on land with it over and over again but 9-18mm may be useful for land too.

Dont mind on the hanging things around my neck as I do it always. :wink: and my main will be on wide angle.

RX100 is a great choice as it comes all in one. Size and weigh is not an issue for me, but the quality of photo and wide angle.
The first picture is rx100 +nauticam+ h100+ dome lense unit 2?

All the WA shots in this set are with my Rx100/Nauticam & H100+DomeII as well as two Inon z-240 strobes: Bonaire 2013

Hi, can anyone share about the dome size for h100+dome lens unit2?
As epl5 9-18mm is about 4" dome, how about the dome size for rx100+h100+dome?
I read is about 129mm outer diameter, is it equivalent to 5" dome on rx100 package?

---------- Post added August 5th, 2013 at 10:36 PM ----------

Need the answer urgently, im going to purchase the camera in this coming weekend. Please guru.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom