IDi Seaira Try metal freeflow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nooreck:
Ok I'm back from the trip and quite dissapointed...........
My regs after being serviced and having the Embiant Pressure dropped to 120 did as a matter of fact freefllowed again, the water was 2-3 degrees Celcius....and I am really dissapointed in them thank god I didn't get this free flow on forest city wreck 160'

So anyway looks like I'll be getting my self a set of apax, seemed like it was performing the best out there ???? or AQ supreme LX we'll see....

To conclude this I will say this eather IDi is not up to what they claim or simply I managed to end up with a faulty unit......

Oh by the way lake simcoe was bad this weekend... Vis was 2-4 feet sureface -10 in the wind was the killer and the ice must of started to melt quite a bit since last time...

Cheers

Well Noowreck that is what I expected with a balanced piston under the ice. Flipping an o-ring and lowering the 'intermediate' pressure are way down the risk factor list for free flows where numero uno is reg design and cold water handling techniques.

I don't think you had a faulty unit but just a unit that is not up to the definition of cold water which we use here in Canada during the winter and which is likely quite different from IDI's definition of cold water. You still have a good reg for Ontario three season diving but as you saw the Apeks or Aqualung LX Supreme are better under the ice. Remember too the Sherwood is still a great reg for recreational cold water depths and in fact it has been the reg of choice in the Antarctica programs (have a look at Rob Robbin's report)
http://scilib.ucsd.edu/sio/nsf/diving/index3.html

Chalk it up to learning about choosing the right gear to match the environment at hand. We have all purchased gear that after the fact we realized wasn't up to the task. Replacing that gear is what keeps the scuba industry going,..ha,ha. Better though as you say to do your testing on shallow Lake Simcoe dives and find out what works before heading out on those deep cold Lake Huron dives. Look on the bright side, now you get to go and look at some nice new diaphragm regs to buy. :wink:

Yes that's for sure Pufferfish new reg new expense, just don't tell my wife LOL...
she'll hang me by the b.....ls if she find out ..... but you only live once, right ?

Anyway, the ice season is over now it's time to chill a bit for at least a month or so untill the season starts...

Cheers

I use the IDI regs at very deep depths and they are great performers, although the water isn't cold here. As with all piston regs in cold water they have problems without the sealing kits. Not a bad reg just not the perfect design for the situation.

We were doing some ice dives last week and there was a guy with a brand new something or other with a Mk5 clone first, and he was having the same problem, over and over - he'd come up with a first stage free flow and someone would dump hot water in it, and he'd go down for a few more minutes, then be back. He was quite relaxed about it, so I don't think he was aggravating it by gulping air or anything.

Which brings up an irony about these Mk5 clones: the original SPs had big holes in the ambient chamber, which let a lot of water through. When SP went to grease packing they made the holes much smaller so the grease would stay put. However, if you are not going to be grease packing it, the big holes are better - since if you don't keep the water out completely then you want it moving through as fast as possible, in the manner of the latest SP BPs. The bigger holes also also make the stage easier to rinse. With the tiny holes and no grease, the same water just sits there getting colder and colder with each breath you take.

Oddly, most of the clones have the small holes, even when the manufacturers don't sell a grease kit or advocate it.

Grease packing BPs really works, and can be done to almost any piston 1st - I do all my ice dives with an old grease packed SP and have never had a freeze up, or even a hint of one. Unofortunately, now that enriched mixes are common, you have to decide between pressing your luck, and using silicone, or spending and extra $25 or so each OH time for a tube of Christolube.

Hey Guys Back from the dead,......
I see that this reg can be grese packed ?????? Can I get more info on that ????

I just picked up a nice atx 200 and had it down allready it works like a charme but I stil would like to try this greas experiment...

Cheers

Pufferfish how's life ?????
see you at hte store someday ?????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom