Identifying a Submerge Motor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like someone local upgraded a bunch of Gavins with SS motors and LiFePO4 batteries like a decade or so ago. Couldn't get in touch with the original upgrader.

The impression I get from old mailing lists is that they probably all handled minor servicing ad hoc via GI3 and then later through such local divers who took on unofficial modder/improvement roles.

And there are probably really only 2-3 left running right now (including this assuming I can get it running). Everyone else has moved on to hip new scooters.

Looks like someone local upgraded a bunch of Gavins with SS motors and LiFePO4 batteries like a decade or so ago. Couldn't get in touch with the original upgrader.

The impression I get from old mailing lists is that they probably all handled minor servicing ad hoc via GI3 and then later through such local divers who took on unofficial modder/improvement roles.

And there are probably really only 2-3 left running right now (including this assuming I can get it running). Everyone else has moved on to hip new scooters.
You could just leave it all wrapped up and add the ESC and a 40amp fuse for your own peace of mind and dive it. The workmanship looks pretty legit to me even if we don't know the inner details.

You could just leave it all wrapped up and add the ESC and a 40amp fuse for your own peace of mind and dive it. The workmanship looks pretty legit to me even if we don't know the inner details.

Yeah, that is not a bad idea. I guess I could just keep inspecting the fuse to make sure it doesn't corrode or anything. I will need to read up on the DiveXtras fuse issues that Jona mentioned to see how I could proactively manage that while still having a fuse.

If you're electronically inclined you could also replace the BMS. The dangerous part of the lithium batteries is connecting the main power leads but the balance leads may well have a plug. If each of the cells are fairly well balanced now you can always replace it with a more modern BMS

Yeah, let us see. I am partly leaning on the if it ain't broke, don't fix it line of things. I could learn to install a new BMS, but it does seem like more time tinkering and less time diving with it. But definitely a project I want to take on at some point to be able to restore other Gavins.

The T handle from Marcin Barracuda requires much modifying, scratch building, drilling and tapping

It doesn't fit and then deforms the shroud

012.JPG

I really have to tackle this monster one day and not blow everything up Tekna motor

Ali express has all the fittings and terminals screw and bolts with ring things for reins

The thing that attracted me to this T handle even though I have the big wheel is coz it ain't got no wire

View attachment 858781

Back
Top Bottom