ideas to adjust tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rambler

Registered
Reaction score
I have an old Scubapro BC. It works great and I like it except that the tank sets too low on the BC and it does not have an adjustable loop that goes around the tank valve. Any ideas????

Did you hear about the blonde who kept returning her scarves to the store? They were all too tight. :D

Sorry, don't mean to be mean. We were all newbies once.

Seriously, though, I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. If the BC is too large, the tank will hang low no matter where you position the cam strap on the tank.

On the other hand, if the BC is the right size, how low the tank hangs is all dependent on where you put the cam strap. The cam strap is the strap that wraps tightly around the tank and holds it in place.

I think may I know of the type of strap you are talking about, and it is completely not necessary. It is just a gimmick (albeit a convenient one) for newbies to know how high to put the tank in the cam strap. All you have to do is slide the cam strap down a little lower on on the tank, and the tank will sit higher - with no extra strap needed.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I didn't think the tank loop was needed but wonted to hear it from someone with more experience than me. I read how the top of the tank valve should be about at the top of the BC, I'm not sure how anyone would be able to do that with this BC. I really don't think the BC is to big or too small as it fits in all other aspects.

I guess I still don't understand. It's true that the top of the valve should be at about the top of the BC. So you align it that way before you tighten the cam strap. Is this not possible for some reason?

How are you aligning things if it ends up too low? By the way, what size tank?

rambler:
Cool. Thanks for the info. I didn't think the tank loop was needed but wonted to hear it from someone with more experience than me. I read how the top of the tank valve should be about at the top of the BC, I'm not sure how anyone would be able to do that with this BC. I really don't think the BC is to big or too small as it fits in all other aspects.

Get it where you want it and use a permanent marker (or spray paint) to mark the spot on the tank. That way you'll be able to find the same adjustment every time.

R..

Are you saying that the tank contour molded into the Scubapro back pack keeps you from mounting the tank as high as you would like? Is the perceived problem realized in the water or out? Why do you want the tank higher?

I, too, am a tad confused about the mounting issue.
But, if you want to make sure you mount your tank in the same position every time (up and down the spine) use a piece of duct tape to wrap around one of your LP hoses. This way when the reg is mounted to the tank you can use the tape on the hose to gauge how high up or how far down to place the tank strap on the tank.

the K

Hey Rambler,
The strap that you refer to is NOT supposed to go around the valve. It's a handle to carry the BC while a tank is strapped in.
Don't put the strap around the neck of the valve when setting up your gear. That still should leave 2 straps (one velcro (top), and one with the adjustable clamp (Middle)).
I had the same issue you're talking about when I first got my Scubapro Classic BC.

Hope I understood you correctly. Good luck
Mad_diver

Diver0001:
Get it where you want it and use a permanent marker (or spray paint) to mark the spot on the tank. That way you'll be able to find the same adjustment every time.

R..
Not sure how a dive op would like to see customers painting their tanks! :11:

Oh, I get it, paint your OWN tank! :eyebrow:

Mad_diver:
Hey Rambler,
The strap that you refer to is NOT supposed to go around the valve. It's a handle to carry the BC while a tank is strapped in.
Don't put the strap around the neck of the valve when setting up your gear. That still should leave 2 straps (one velcro (top), and one with the adjustable clamp (Middle)).
I had the same issue you're talking about when I first got my Scubapro Classic BC.

Hope I understood you correctly. Good luck
Mad_diver

Thanks M_D,

I did notice I didn't have a handle either. Sorry everyone else for the less than steller discription of my problem. I do have 3 straps: a short loop on top, a wide velcros adjustbale in the middle, and a adjustbale clamp o the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom